sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
frogs will eat anything just like fish .Even my aggie tried to grab a bird that was getting a drink in the waterfall .I was right there when it happened and had to save the poor little finch .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, frogs, especially bullfrogs, have that reputation. There are pics all over the 'net that show bullfrogs with birds in their mouths. They will eat fry, small fish, even larger fish if they get the chance. I have never had them try or eat one of my fish that was over 4" long. In fact, I've never seen any of my huge bullfrogs eat anything but bugs. I toss unwanted bugs in for them to go after, fun game for me and them. LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I heard that during mating season a bull frog will hug a fish to death .Frisky little devils need love too .But not in my pond :)

Reaction score
I would never have thought a frog would eat a fish ..... never really thought about it. Luckily we don't have very big frogs here, so I'm not worried about the fish I buy, just any fry. I'm hoping so much for goldfish fry, but its sounding more and more like either the koi or frogs will get the eggs. Anyways, we will see. I have lots of places for the fry to hide out.

The eco system in a pond is really complex. Its not really just dig a hole and throw a few fish in. Its really becoming its own world.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the fish babies will hide from the bigger fish .I thought i got rid of all my baby fish and then I see more

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As I was building our pond the frogs were moving in, they will come!

I would never have thought a frog would eat a fish ..... never really thought about it. Luckily we don't have very big frogs here, so I'm not worried about the fish I buy, just any fry. I'm hoping so much for goldfish fry, but its sounding more and more like either the koi or frogs will get the eggs. Anyways, we will see. I have lots of places for the fry to hide out.

The eco system in a pond is really complex. Its not really just dig a hole and throw a few fish in. Its really becoming its own world.

It is a wonderful world too, so many things come to a yard with a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Fish lay hundreds of eggs each time they spawn. Many or most of the eggs get eaten by the parents and others, also frogs and dragon fly nymphs I think. Then the ones that are left hatch, and more of the babies get eaten before they figure out they have to hide to survive. It's a cruel world out there! I had 4 baby koi survive my second year with the ponds. Still have them ... well I think I do. Goldfish were spawning and having babies the first year put in the pond, and they were maybe 5" long at most. They are more prolific and productive sooner than koi, it seems.

Ask a Question