Dead goldfish

Reaction score
My pond is on a golf course aprx 3 acres of water. Unknown quantity of goldfish as they are hiding in the depths of the pond, aprx 10 ft. deep. The golf course provides water ,reclaimed, and thatmismthe problem they provide water very sporadically. Sometimes nothing for 3/4 weeks, when the water level drops drastically and , I believe the temperature of the water rises dramatically also.

Our solution is to contact our city code enforcement officer who goes to the course and threatens them with large fines. After a visit from him they frantically fill the pond with large amounts of water, that is where our present problem lies. We have a large amount of beautiful 14 inch goldfish (6 so far) rising to the surface, frantically breathing and then dying. We do not know if the water temperature change is effecting them, or, something in the reclaimed water. This is not the first time this had happened, but we have had fish kills from just the water level dying.

This is a very large pond and we do not care for the water , or the feeding of these fish. Or check the water ph levels.

My question is, is it the temperature change, or the water quality change that could be killing the fish.

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about goldfish, but I would think it could very well be either one, water quality or temperature. Another thing I would really be concerned with is, any chemicals the golf course treats its greens and fairways with, seeping into the pond. I know our golf course uses some really strong chemicals and they will forewarn us before going out on the course, to watch where we put our hands. (eyes, mouth)
Good luck with your fishies!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and that could be it or the water could contain chemicals of some sort and best way to find out is take the water and have it tested .Here the city will test water from our wells for a fee of 5 or 10 dollars ,It depends on what you are testing for .I would take several samples and see if you can find a water testing sight .Call your county or city office they will better know where to get your water tested and how much it will cost .We also have what is called the water protection act here and that is for farm ponds to keep chemicals out of the bay ,they do those tests for free .

Reaction score
i am lost on this thread... you have a pond on a golf course but they are required to keep water in it? i would think a large facility might be required to use reclaimed water as a savings factor to the residents of the area as i'm sure they go through a lot of water.. but also would think 3 acres of water would pretty much take care of itself

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers. I have no control over the quality of the water. I also have no control over how much , and how often that the pond is replenished, I believe that this is the problem. As far as having the water tested, since it is a golf course pond I don,t feel that even if I had the water tested it would matter. I have lived here for 14 yrs and we have not had any problems, until about 2 yrs ago when the present golf course manager took over and started the pattern of not filling the pond until threatened by city authorities.

I believe that the problem is that when the water level gets low and the air temperature is over 100 or so the temperature of the water rises to a dangerous level for the fish. My problem is that we have had fish kills before the new water is put in the pond, and once or twice after the new water is put in??

Again thanks for your answers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They need to fire that guy and he is probably trying to save money for them and put a big crown above his head for doing so .Brownie points for him ,but shame on him .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some ideas; When the pond level is still high then adding the new water will not significantly change the chemistry of it. Adding a lot of it is obviously bad for the fish. There must be something in the water that is not good for the fish such as chlorine or other chemicals,fertilizers ,weed killers etc. Re the fish dying when the water level is low it's possible there is not enough oxygen. This can happen when water gets warm because it has a low level of dissolved oxygen versus cooler water. Some ponds have a sprinkler in the middle that sprays water. This can help mix in oxygen and keep the water moving. You might want to suggest to the golf course to install one. Also it seems the easiest solution would be for them to fill the pond on a more regular basis. Typically there is always an owner behind the scenes.You could try writing a letter to them. There are a lot of nature lovers out there. It may affect them when they hear about the problem just as much as it does you.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If the manager would spend the money a fountain would help the pond. Testing does need to be done but in a natural pond your going to be limited to only so much you can do. I would think that PH is drastically changing during large fills. If your seeing several dead fish there are probably double that that died and noone ever saw. this is very dangerous as now the pond is beyond any control and nature must take it's course. If well water could be added and a leveling deviced used the pond would actually use less water over time. Deeper water stays more stable and evaporates slower. So if it is kept at level it would actually save money. The fountain and increased oxygen will also help in waste breakdown. It attracts customers, relaxes the mind, and heck, who doesn't like seeing water rushing while over looking the 18th hole and a cold beer. MMMM might even pay for itself???

Reaction score
Lmao Larkin
I'm sorta confused or maybe I missed it up there. Why does the pond loose so much water? Are we talking water evap from the high temps? And I agree the fountain is a great idea, was thinking the same thing.

Ask a Question