Designing stages for a Natural Pond waterfall and stream.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
look at my avatar it is the planted tank I had it' had its more then fair share of plant matter dissolving in the water channel. but I catch your meaning it's far less but unlike a pond minute changes in parameters add up quickly in a small tank by comparison.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
I'll lend you my twopenny worth of non - technical, personal advise : if you plan to spend time
in the pond frequently (swimming or not) than gravel should be out. I'm spending hours in summer
barefoot in the pond , and even pea gravel irritate my foot soles.
Don't mind the slippery algae but a sharp stab from the bottom is never welcome.
Yes I know some footwear will solve this - but barefoot is a pleasure I try to keep.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
look at my avatar it is the planted tank I had it' had its more then fair share of plant matter dissolving in the water channel. but I catch your meaning it's far less but unlike a pond minute changes in parameters add up quickly in a small tank by comparison.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a great difference in the cellulose and lignin content of the typical aquatic plant and woody terrestrials such as shrubs, trees, and some perennials. No amount of rationalization will change that fact.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Meyer, maybe he had trees and shrubs planted on all sides of his aquarium...:rolleyes:

Then again, sometimes one just has to go into the tunnel before one understands about dark...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll lend you my twopenny worth of non - technical, personal advise : if you plan to spend time
in the pond frequently (swimming or not) than gravel should be out. I'm spending hours in summer
barefoot in the pond , and even pea gravel irritate my foot soles.
Don't mind the slippery algae but a sharp stab from the bottom is never welcome.
Yes I know some footwear will solve this - but barefoot is a pleasure I try to keep.

Gravel in your pond should be smooth and feel good underfoot. I tend to wear water shoes when I get in, but my gravel pond bottom is barefoot friendly!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good advice I plan to use a 3/8" rounded edge rock not a river rock but close with a 2" layer of 1-2" river rock. I was entertaining the idea of a flow through gravel filter at the bottom of the pond at 7 to 8 feet deep. Air driven I was thinking of placing the air pump in the basement and insulating the line not throwing cold air at the pond but say 55 degree water to the bottom of the pond. It definitely wont warm the water to that extent but it surely cant hurt

Ask a Question