Diet of Goldfish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I always wonder when people say the worry about parasites and things the backyard... I mean my POND is in the backyard. It's hardy a sterile environment. I had a woman on another site tell me I shouldn't use rain water on my garden because of the risk of e coli from my roof. Because birds and squirrels might poop on my roof. But when I pointed out that birds and squirrels most certainly DO poop directly in my garden and probably right ON my plants, she didn't know what to say. She shared some Rutgers University study that basically said water from a rain barrel is 99.9% safe with a tiny risk of bacteria as her back up.

I'm just not made to worry, I guess.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Birds turd in my ponds all the time and fish are fine as water runs non stop all year round.

I feed my fish only the finest quality Puppy Chow, made right here in Alberta. Its super fresh and smells good too. Its made by Origen and Acana dog food. It contains no grains and my dogs love it too. My fish have been eating this food since 2003 and they are all doing great, and live outside here in Canada year round.
I like the puppy chow as it is higher in fat and my fish are never sick and I have never ever lost a KOI. The goldfish eat that food too. My koi are large and have very big mouths and it would be hard for them to eat small pebbles so I give the large koi the Large Breed Puppy chow. I don't listen to anybody try to tell me its bad. My fish are still alive and well and I think the fish food is way over priced and its sits on the self way longer than the fresh dog food. I never keep the dog food for very long as the puppies eat it too, so its always fresh which is good.

People tried to tell me it was bad to run the ponds all winter as the koi would get too cold, that's just crappy information as my koi have been outside in ice cold water since 1991 and I have never lost a single koi ever, while friends of mine who listened to the so call experts have lost many of their koi over the winter and spring months.

Just remember, if most people believe something to be true, its usually proven not to be true.... That is just a fact.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love those vid's of your ponds @callingcolleen1 and love that Hornwart but just wish it would grow like that in my pond! I did see some left the other day but wonder where all the rest went?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
particularly shubunkin goldfish.

Hi Rajesh. I have traveled to India and I am aware you can buy almost anything your need there because there are about 1.3 billion consumers there. I looked up Amazon India and they have some good choices. I don't know if they deliver to all the provinces, but I'm guessing you may be from Deli or Mumbai where they definitely deliver to. I recommend floating food as this will encourage the behavior of your fish outside to come to the surface where you can see them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hi Rajesh. I have traveled to India and I am aware you can buy almost anything your need there because there are about 1.3 billion consumers there. I looked up Amazon India and they have some good choices. I don't know if they deliver to all the provinces, but I'm guessing you may be from Deli or Mumbai where they definitely deliver to. I recommend floating food as this will encourage the behavior of your fish outside to come to the surface where you can see them.
I am not from Delhi or Mumbai, and yes we have lots of packed fish food available online from china or Japan. I feed my fish mostly packed food, previously I used freeze dried tubifex Worms, had used water quality issue.So, now I am using 'Optimum' brand fish food, and boiled veggie (someone recommended).

Just want to know, what others are feeding their fish to keep them healthy and strong.

How to grow red wigglers ( Can I grow them in small container) to feed fish?

Thank you!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Usually, just feed some sort of floating stick or pellet, I am not sure what kind. I dont really think much about it.

Also, like Lisa I feed them earthworms when I am working on outside projects and find them. Fun to throw the worms at the frogs around the pond too, some try to catch them out of the air.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Yeah so you can go on YouTube and they can show you how to make a composte for the redwigglers

Here is a link.

Ask a Question