different idea for cleaning pond?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You should be able to go into your photo editor and do a "save as" in either a psd or pdf file extension. I have no idea why this forum does not allow Jpg which is the world standard and everyone has.

If you photo editor won't allow it, send them to me direct and I will convert them for you and send them back to you.

Reaction score
DrCase, yes, ugly tho it may be I guess I neglected the pond for too long and now have to pay the price! I do think I will use your idea for plastic backing, thanx for the input! Any other ideas to make this less painful will be appreciated..

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
ponds look good cashb . is the one you need to drain in there

Reaction score
Hi DrCase, yes I finally mastered the picture thing... All the pics are different views of my one and only pond. (went a little crazy posting after I finally figured it out!) I figured the area to sandbag is the most narrow part which is side to side right by the heron. Could take a while to get up the courage,energy. I may get in there tomorrow and rake out some leaves and needles as it has been close to 80 degrees here. Hate to cloud it up as the water has become pretty clear, but, gotta get that debris out!

Reaction score
o.k. so I got in the pond today and raked out the debris from one side.. This time there was no toxic gas bubbling up and less leaves and needles than I thought there would be. The water became quite cloudy but the fish seemed o.k. I changed all the filters and tomorrow when the mulm settles I will get out the pondovac and do more. Then the other side. So maybe after all, I can clean it the normal way and avoid the intensive water draining clean-out that I thought would be necessary.. :banana: If the fish survive, I will be ahead of the game and will keep up with the maintenance from now on!! :icon_mrgreen:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
hay cashb just stir it every day for a while it will clear up and settle down i have an old freind murl young ,youngs tree service that can get rid of your pinetree if you call him ,he,s local

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
just kidding ,i got one tree i want to take out by my pond ,but my wife wont let me cut it down yet.

Reaction score
I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the pond but for now it's completely frozen and all my babies are in the living room for the winter. In the past I've used a plastic rake to remove some of the larger junk out. I use Matala matshttp://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com/site/1566246/page/910910 which are easy to clean with a strong garden hose. When you do your water changes don't forget the chlorine remover! Stay warm, Gail

Reaction score
cashb said:
I had this idea for the total spring cleaning of my pond. I first thought I would remove my 6 twelve inch goldies, 2 plecos, plants etc. to a tank, and drain pond of all water, then vacuum, refill, let water sit and reintroduce fish. Then, I had the bright?? idea since my pond is kinda figure eight shape could I use sandbags in the small middle section thereby doing one side at a time and cause less stress to my fish. I would sandbag off one half, and drain, clean and refill then let water cure (well water), swap fish over and repeat with other side. Am I crazy to consider this?? Has anyone else attempted to do it this way? I figure it would save obtaining a tank and aerating and covering it, moving the fish, and then having them in a foreign space till the water was right to return them. Wouldn't this cause them stress also? I estimate my pond to be from 1000 to 1200 gallons. I live in south florida but won't do this until march or april. Feedback please!!
did this work it sounds good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
cashb said:
I'm sure it would help with the debris!! I'll probably just wait for the next hurricane to take care of it...
I love the sandbag Idea but cant see this working as its more trouble than its worth , why not just buy a pond vacuum instead it'd take half the time your loosing at the moment .
Also you must never estimate how many gallons you have in the pond from 1,000 -1,200is is a large jump, mine I know is exactly at 1,000 gallons imperial UK .
I know this as I messured it in and because of this I know just how many gallons of water I have to work with if I have to chemically treat my fish, too much can kill , too little wont treat, be exact and you have everything just right.
Also how many gallons do you remove per waterchange ? I take out 30% of my water per change .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question