How to create different planting levels in a raised pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my first post to this website. I have recently installed a raised pond in my garden. V happy with it, but i'd like some ideas as to how one might have different plant levels in it. I'd like some marginal plants, but given the depth of the water ( approx1.3 m) how might I have these? IS there something you can buy that would " house" marginals eg. a shelf that fixes over the edge of the pond ( built out of wood, by the way) similar to how a window box goes over the sill? Or is it simply a case of having upturned pots stacked on top of one another, with a plant on top? Hope that make sense. When I've looked on google images, there are pictures on there of my pond, or similar, with a variety of different planting types, deep water and shallows, so it must be possible.
thanks in advance

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
animated-welcome-image-0044.gif

In addition to what Sissy does, you could use window boxes and hang them over the side. Just a matter of finding the right sized hangers or fashioning them from a material that won't rust or contaminate the water. Someone on here a while back mentioned he once used a piece of roof gutter over the side. I used a couple of cinder blocks on end....not sure what they call them in the UK . You can even top the cinder block with a paver or piece of slate to get more surface area for pots. (I wrapped the bottom of my cinder blocks with a piece of liner material in order to protect the pond liner from any abrasions.) Cinder blocks also give the fish hiding spots.

concrete-blocks.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use window screening and make pouch's that hang over the side of the pond .A little sewing and you are done .I use a rock to weight the tail down on the top of the pond .Works great for marginal plants around the edge of any pond .You can pull it out trim the roots and place it back in .LOL at everyone
101_0434.JPG
101_0443.JPG
101_0430.JPG
101_0432.JPG
101_0658.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hanging pots available in nursery for outdoor , u can nail them on edges , normally tthey have 3 strings ... one thing u may want to do is shorten 2 strings so its leveled with the water surface .
Hanging_Pots_895%20_29862.jpg

images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
these are great ideas thank you. I like the window screen material idea, as it doesn't involve screwing anything into the lip of the pond and damaging the wood. Might give it a go. Now...where to buy it????

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most places that sell windows has it and most hardware stores handle it .Not sure what you have there .I know 2 of mine finally need new ones as after 5 years some are starting to rip .But just make a new one and cut the old one a little and put the plant in the new one .Most times a rock will hold them and I even have one held by a spitter frog that I am not using.Thank you every one .I just happen to think outside the box .crazy but hey it works

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I may try that! My pool edges have gaps that I could tie to, it would keep fish from eating all the roots, and if I put a coffee can in the screen basket, it’ll give it a bit of form! ( plastic coffee cans from Folgers! We have lots and lots of them, we go through a lot of coffee!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the metal coffee cans for bird houses . My stop light ones .I do cut in holes towards the back of the cans so the little birds get fresh air and attach window screen so they do not fall out
100_7940.JPG
The plastic ones get used for about everything else .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My coffee comes in foil bags............neat idea Sissy

Ask a Question