DIY barrel ponds.

Reaction score
the barrels sit on an insulated concrete slab which are positioned either side of steps leading to the rest of the garden.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 373
Reaction score
thankyou both for the reply.

both barrels are in position on their slabs with their tops cut off and a 160mm hole cut out ready for the pipe work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 406

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't let them dry out, the wood shrinks, I whiskey barrels for my filters in arizona, if the wood shrinks keep adding water until it re-swells.

That will look great btw.

Reaction score
thanks addy, when I cut the tops off I let the barrels dry out in the sun for about a week just to see how much they would shrink by.. the results were not alot! I know the barrels wouldn't be totally dried out but there were no gaps between the struts and the bands wouldn't move at all.

But I hear what you're saying, through the summer months I will give the barrels a good soaking every time I water the garden.

thanks again for your reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
I managed to get the pipe in place today and all insulated but I'm still struggling to upload photos the right way round, I think it something to do with the orientation of the phone when I originally taken the photo.. even if I flip the photos before I send them they are still upside down :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
For a while then I thought you actually meant 45mm thick until I realised its 0.45mm :) dur

the pipe is now in place and the insulation started around it, I have also ran some flexible pipe and a solid length of pipe through the back of the step inside the insulation to take the filter feed and wiring for the pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 266
Reaction score
Im not sure what method you use to upload pictures but I will tell you how I have had success. I opened an account on photobucket and then I load my pics to there. Then whenever I want to load a pic to a forum, i go to photobucket, click the "IMG" link, which copies it, and then I past it right into the post here.

Ask a Question