DIY biofilter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do a search here and you will find pictures of both mine and drcase's bio filters. There are a few others as well.
On the Internet, search for Skippy bio filter to find that site. Don't believe everything they say, drcase and I have both proven them wrong.
The floating algae happens only when the day is warm, as it cools it sinks back down to the bottom, right?

Reaction score
lollyfrog said:
Thanks everyone,
I went back to the barn and got a 55 gallon drum and put together the guts of the filter this afternoon.

Where are the plans for this 55 gallon drum bio filter?

Reaction score
could you post pictures of your progress

oh i use a 30 gallon rubbermaid trashcan
i drilled it for in the top for inlets for water
and in the bottom for water to go out

the filtration media i use are 30 gallons of Bioballs and a filter pad

lollyfrog

April
Reaction score
I used 1 1/2" pvc pipe down the middle of the barrel attached to the inlet pipe from the pump. at the bottom of the barrel the pipe terminates in a T junction with pipe running in opposite directions to the sides of the barrel. I put an elbow on each end facing opposite to each other to get a swirl effect of water on the bottom of the barrel. I used a combination of the bio filters on this sight and the "skippy" type biofilter. I then cut two plastic grills from an old box fan to fit the inside diameter of the barrel, drilling a hole in the middle of each so that they would slide down the pipe. I put one in the bottom sitting on the two "legs" to keep the bio media off of the bottom and I put the second one on top of the media to keep it submerged. Here are some pictures but the link for Dr. Dave's is where I got most of my inspiration and info.
pondbuild016Standarde-mailview.jpg

April

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NICE FILTER, THE FAN GUARDS..WHAT A FIND! I AM MAKING A SKIPPY STYLE FILTER TOO.IM USING A 70 GALLON STOCK TANK,MY 1&1/2" BOTTOM FLOW PIPES ARE ANGLED ,WITH 22.5 DEGREE ELBOED ENDS FOR A SMOOTHER FLOW ONTO THE WALLS OF THE TANK. AND ARE ELEVATED 4" ABOVE THE FLOOR OF TANK, FOR BETTER SETTLING OF SEDIMENT.THEN AN EGGCRATE SHELF FOR HOLDING THE 240 3"X5" SCRUBBY PADS(cut in half) AND 1 CUBIC FOOT OF STORE BOUGHT FILTER MEDIA, ALL IN 7 MEDIA BAGS,TOPPED BY ANOTHER EGGCRATE(actually flourecent light diffusers) WITH A TOP OFF OF AS MANY WATER HYACINTHS AS THE 32X 40" TOP OPENING WILL ACCOMODATE, THE SKIPPY NORMAL OUTPIPE IS BEING REPLACED WITH A 7" WATERFALL WEIR. AND THE SYSTEM WILL BE FED BY A 1900GPH PUMP. I BELIEVE THIS STSTEM WILL PERFORM VERY WELL, ON MY 1000 GALLON POND. ANY THOUGHTS?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If the bio balls are allowed to dry or the filter is shut off more than 5 hours, the anerobic bacteria dies and it will take weeks to start it up again.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My bio filter, like DrCase's, is fashioned after the Skippy filter with some minor exceptions.

The water enters at the bottom of a 55 gallon drum filled with bio balls, sponges or in my case 1/2" tubes, then perculates up through these to overflow out a fitting that directs it back to the pond. Our bio filters are left on 24/7 365 days a year.

So the media never gets dry and the water never stands still. That is how to keep the bio filter alive and working.

There is no way to do this effectively without running the filter continuously.

Reaction score
i know...im just trying to get an opinion on if the water should trickle through from top to bottom where there is more air or bottom to top where there is more water

i did the trickle filter style when my pond was salt water when i had Garabaldi, stingrays and sharks

Ask a Question