DIY biofilter

Reaction score
Hello, can you please post, or email me photos of your complete filter system. I am trying to build a two barrel system myself for my 2400 gallon koi pond. Thank you!
Mike

Reaction score
Can anyone please send me actual step-by-step instructions on how to build a two barrel system. I have heard several methods, pressurized, gravity, vented, etc. I have the locking rings and lids for my barrels, and would like to keep it sealed, but I know I will need a vent, but I don't know how to do this. I currently have three 30 gallon barrels for my pond filter. I have shut down my pond for the winter, and my barrels arrived today. I am ready to build and replace for next spring.

Thank you everyone!
Mike

Reaction score
Been there, even watched your wonderful video! Loved it! Very beautiful. Your barrel is open at the top, mine won't be. Any ideas? Also, where did you get your rubber tubing, and how much did 7,000 of those critters cost you?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They were free. It cost me 2 hours of labor for a guy to cut them for me, $20. I took the tubing from an orchard that the trees were cut down and the irrigation abandoned. I have a section with pictures, not the video of the bio filter.

Reaction score
I have the rings on my barrels, too. Don't use 'em. Just put your cover on and don't tighten with those rings, as the lack of oxygen will kill your bacteria. Just lay the cover on top.

Reaction score
I just want plans to make a dual 55 gallon filter with drains. I have not been able to find plans or instructions anywhere. I find a picture of a few things, but they are all different and have different ideas. I just want a simple, easy to build, well working filter from two 55 gallon drums. I am not an engineer or mechanic, I am a school teacher and I would like some plans. Please help if possible. I did not mean to offend, but I am getting mixed reviews. Thanks!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It has a 2" ball valve in the bottom.
The input at the top is fed with a 3/4" PVC attached to a 1150 GPH pump at the bottom of the pond.
The grate is suspended with a milk crate that is upside down.
There are about 7000 1/2" plastic tubes 1 1/2" long on top of the grate.
The overflow is 1 1/2" back to the pond.
All the photos necessary are at this site.
For a dual, just feed one into the other, although I don't think it is necessary.

http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/doc_bio_filter.html

How much more detail do you need?

Reaction score
What size should the bottom drains be? I was thinking 2". Do I use bulkheads, if so, where do I buy them. Our Lowes does not carry them. What is a 2" ball valve in the bottom mean? My pump is a 2700 gal./hour for my 2400 gallon pond. I was thinking of using 2" line in to the first barrel, then 2" out to the bottom of the second barrel, and then maybe one or two 2" out to the falls. You see, there won't be any pressure, for it is an open system, but I am not well versed in the diy filtration system. My pond came with a system that was diy by the previous owners. I inherited this pond, but have grown to love it. I just want to cut down on the amount of work I do each week and know my pond is being filtered well, and that I have plenty of bio media. I was thinking of using r-metala, but I have heard that floor scrubber pads would also work. What would be good media to use? Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I PM'ed you a few links that might help with photos.

I use matala mats personally on my filter, and I love them. Super easy to clean, and they will last years. A tad pricey upfront, but you'll get long term mileage out of them. I don't have the r-matala, I just used regular mats instead of the rolls as I found them cheaper and I didn't think it would be easy to stuff the roll in the barrel unless I cut off the barrel top, which I didn't want to do.

Here is the thread showing my barrel. You will see step by step photos, too.

Reaction score
Isn't is the disolved oxygen in the water, and not the oxygen in the air that the bacteria need? If this is the case, how do pressurized filtration units work?

Actually this statement is correct. A pressurized filter would in effect remove some of the dissolved oxygen from the water being by definition a closed system. But then again so would a filter with all its bio-media submerged. But in an open top system, this is usually overcome by then directing its output down a water fall, which then replaces the displaced oxygen (and then some). A pressurized system would lose its bacteria if waterflow was cutoff in a relatively short period of time.

This being said, pressurized filters are better at mechanical filtration, where-as non-pressurized filters (trickle filters) are better at biological filtration.

Reaction score
i have a quick question for you guys. i am planning about a 3500 gal pond in the spring, will one 55 gal skippy filter be enough filtration or do i need to use 2.

Ask a Question