DIY biofilter

Reaction score
Is PL roofing sealant safe for this application. Theres always much debate about aquarium safe silicone and some state not for aquarium use.

Is this product safe in an application with fish and any potential of leaching something into the water?

Reaction score
i got it at the pond outlet. Exactly the site you have identified. I found the same thing you did, that the prices varied wildly. It was a few dollars cheaper then, and the shipping was free at the time. It's great stuff, as it weighs nothing. You just pull the bag outta the barrel and give it a quick shake and all the crud just falls right off. Boom. Pop it back in the barrel and I'm done. I'd like to see someone with a bagful of soaking wet sponges try that easily. I just wanted something light, and something that would last forever. Personally, it was the best choice for me. I didn't want to think about replacing anything in a few years (which is also why I went with the matala mats). I got a green and black one--the other colors are just too fine for a barrel in my opinion. Of course, I don't disparage anyone with the sponges. They are a great choice if that's what you want.

PL roofing sealant is safe in water, yes. It's a ponding standby that many pros use--which is how I came to use it. I've used it in a host of places in my pond, and I've never had a problem. I know people have called the manufacturer about it too. It's thicker than the black aquarium sealant, which is what I love about it. And if you ever screw anything up, it peels right off easily.

I put a conduit connection in my barrel that I just could not get to stop leaking, I had not tightened it enough apparently. Thankfully, I was able to just pull off the PL, tighten the pipes and then reapply. Poof! Leak stopped. Had I used something else, I might have had to cut the pipe or worse--get rid of a perfectly good barrel.

Reaction score
I still need to know how or what I should use to clean out my 55 gallon barrels. They had hand soap in them. They are very clean, but I would like to get out any material that may still be in the barrel. Also, on another important note, I put my new net over my pond today, and I noticed a lot of string algae on the sides of my pond. What should I do? I have closed down the pond two weeks ago, and now I notice a lot of string aglae. Should I put some sort of algaecide in there, or will it be good for the winter. I have never had string algae before, but this is only my second year. One more thing, I need to know if I should use some sort of sealer on my bulkheads, for I thought they didn't need it for they have rubber gaskets.

Thank you for your help! Sorry for all the questions!

Reaction score
ah, yes, we keep forgetting to answer your cleaning barrel question. Well, if it had hand soap in it, it must be fairly clean already. You can make a dilution of bleach water (10:1 ratio) and give it a good scrubbing and then make sure to rinse really well.

string algae this time of year in Illinois? Hmm...are you sure it hasn't been there all along and you just happened to notice it now? And what's a lot? I would try to avoid using an algaecide if possible. Can you scoop it out?

With the bulkhead, you but a very thin smear on the inner rubber part just so it turns easily and the rubber isn't getting caught up as you turn. Again, don't put a lot on the inside, as you are just looking for it to slide, not seal. When you're done tightening it, you then coat the area where the bulkhead meets the barrel all around. Really put it on thickly and work it into the gap. Then do like a tub and make a nice neat clean finish with your finger to flatten it all out. Inside and outside the barrel.

Wear GLOVES that you can just toss! PL is highly staining and anything it touches turns black. The stuff is hard to scrub off. I ended up having to use mineral spirits on areas that I had skin contact. And wear crappy clothes you can throw out if you get any on them, too.

Reaction score
I used two bags of bactitwist for each barrel. I think I ended up getting my matalas on Ebay with free shipping. I think each one was like $27 bucks. They're a bit pricey up front, but they are long lasting because they're essentially soft plastic. To clean 'em you just tap 'em on the ground a bit and the crud just falls off. I then just dunk 'em in a bucket of pond water to clean 'em off well and that's it. (Remember, you don't use your hose/tap water to clean your filter media ever--or you'll kill your beneficial bacteria).

They're easy to cut to fit the barrel with a large scissor. I used those big scissors that cut through sheet metal that I had in the garage.

You can pretty much stuff anything you like into a barrel. It's all a matter of preference. You just keep layering until you fill the thing up. Make your stand (where all your material will fit high enough so that your materials aren't sitting too low. My stand is about 12" high so there's plenty of room for the swirling crud to stay real low. Some barrels are taller than others, so just accomodate for that.

Reaction score
I noticed it today while skimming off some small leaves that made it through my first net, my new net has a tighter weave, and it will keep everything out, yet let my pond breathe. I fought the string algae all summer, didn't have it at all last summer. I used two barley bails all summer. I tried to get as much as I could, for I noticed it around my water fall mostly. But today, I was lying on my bridge, under my first net, and I noticed about 3" on the sides of my pond under the bridge. There was a lot at the edge at the surface, but I pumped down my pond about a foot, and most of that is now dried off. I just don't want to spook my fish, or have to take my net back off with all the leaves falling around here now. Picture a 270 pound 6'3" man lying on that bridge underneath a pond net skimming the surface for debris. I wan't a very happy camper. :)

Attachments

• Pond_Panorama_small.jpg
    Pond_Panorama_small.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 264
Reaction score
My barrels are 3' tall and 23" wide. Did you use the R-Matala? I have three full sheets in my skimmer. Water comes into my skimmer, through a 2" white material, then through a series of a black, green, and blue matala mat, and then finally to my pump and to the barrels.

The photos are of my skimmer setup. It is an old line-man's bucket from a cherry-picker. Behind the first 2" pad, I have the matala mats. There are not in this picture, but they were this summer.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 283
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 285
Reaction score
i don't use R-matala as I mentioned in a previous post. I use the regular mats. I considered the r matala rolls, but I felt they were going to be too big for me to get out and in of the barrel for cleaning. But then again, I'm not a strapping 6' 3" man. Just a 5' 6", 130 pound chick. LOL!

Reaction score
With a 3 foot tall barrel, which is exactly how tall my barrel is, two mats and 2 bags of bactitwist on your stand will be enough. Remember, you're not filling the thing all the way to the very top. I have a good 7 inches on the top that is clear.

Ask a Question