DIY biofilter

Reaction score
I think his case is different because his equip is above ground. If his barrel became plugged, it could definitely overflow. That's why I suggested an emergency overflow pipe back into the pond that bypasses the barrels.

Reaction score
What was happening is this:

His water would enter into the first barrell from the bottom up.It would travel first through his mechanical filtration media and then on to his bio-media before hitting the exit pipe. When it reach that level it would then flow through that pipe into the second barrel at its bottom and attempt to fill it up as well. As the water level rose in the second barrel and attemted to go through another series of media it met with a level of resistance. This resistance was such that it limited the flow in such a way (without ever becoming fully plugged) that the water coming into the first barrel was coming in at a faster rate than the water wasl allowed to go out of the barrel, so the water level of the first barrel rose and spilled over the top edge of the first barrel.

In this case (not yours) repositioning of the barrels (in a two barrel, series/ dual-bottom fed system) with the in regards to water level of the pond (above water level or at water level) will have little effect on preventing this from happening.

Reaction score

Attachments

• image001.JPG
    image001.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I used 55 gallon barrels for filtration on my q-tank it was almost like koikeepr's
except I used 22" floor scrubber pads on the bottom and then used plastic banding material for the bio and then another 22" pad on top.

Reaction score
Floor scrubber pads are the bomb, I use them as well and a perfect fit in a barrel eliminating most all the channelling/blow-by.

Reaction score
nc0. would a bigger pipe to the 2nd barrel solve his problem? Here's that bad photo of mine. It's even worse than advertised. LOL!

Green is the ground level. Blue is the water level. You can see the retro drain in there getting water through gravity.

As you can see the natural laws of physics when it comes to water say that water will always find its own natural level. If my pump goes out, the water in the barrel simply stays in the barrel at the same level as the pond. I've had a few power outages to test the theory already. LOL.

Of course, I have a check valve on the pipe entering the barrel so that the water that's within the long length of pipe (about 20 feet long) that heads to my waterfall doesn't back up into the barrel. If I didn't have this check valve in place, the water in the pipe would in fact cause the barrel to overflow into my sump pit because all my lines are gravity flow driven. The water remaining in my pipes has nothing to do with the water level in the pond naturally.

So, it's always important to strategically use check valves where possible to protect your filtration from overflow.

waterlevel.jpg

Reaction score
nc0. would a bigger pipe to the 2nd barrel solve his problem?

It would help, but not solve it. It's not so much the resitance of the pipe that is causing the backup, its the backpressure caused by bottom feedind the second barrel. This backpressure is caused by several different factors, only one of them being the diameter of the pipe. Others factors such as the resitance of additional media in the second barrel, the wieght of the water column in the second barrel above the input, etc etc.

As you can see the natural laws of physics when it comes to water say that water will always find its own natural level. If my pump goes out, the water in the barrel simply stays in the barrel at the same level as the pond. I've had a few power outages to test the theory already. LOL.

I have never questioned this, and you are 100% correct. But that only applies to a powered down state. The OP (original poster) was loosing his water in a powered on state.

Reaction score
nc0gnet0 said:
Floor scrubber pads are the bomb, I use them as well and a perfect fit in a barrel eliminating most all the channelling/blow-by.

Where do you buy floor scubber pads. I have 2 x 55G drums and they are 21" in diameter. Where did you buy them?

Reaction score
Any number of places, graingers, ebay, online, or if you don't mind paying a bit extra pretty much any small equipment rental place will have them for purchase.

Reaction score
All I know is that I'm glad you're on this site! We need a brain like yours here that can help us solve problems like these from a purely mechanical/scientific perspective!

So, what's your final verdict on what you'd do if this were your set up so as to help the original poster?

nc0gnet0 said:
It would help, but not solve it. It's not so much the resitance of the pipe that is causing the backup, its the backpressure caused by bottom feedind the second barrel. This backpressure is caused by several different factors, only one of them being the diameter of the pipe. Others factors such as the resitance of additional media in the second barrel, the wieght of the water column in the second barrel above the input, etc etc.

I have never questioned this, and you are 100% correct. But that only applies to a powered down state. The OP (original poster) was loosing his water in a powered on state.

Reaction score
Well, given the parameters that the OP wants to go with, that being a double barrel- series setup, I would go with something like the picture I posted ( it was his picture I altered it)

This being said, I myself might lean towards a system like you have with each barrel operating independently of each other with its own pump. Its your system X2.

Either would work, I just like the redundency/protection factor an independent 2 barrel system offers.

Reaction score
right. I agree with you. You have to get two pumps to do it in tandem, but I think it's the plan that offers the best filtration scheme overall, and it does double-duty in protecting from problems such as overflow AND losing a pump so as to provide a partial system until you solve the dilemma.

Nothing better than a plan that does lots of things simultaneously!

Nice work nc0! We appreciate the brain power that comes along with some reasonable thinking and solutions.

Reaction score
I was thinking about using some 1/2" x 300# x 9000' x 8 x 8 Polypropylene Strap as my bio media. I got this idea from someone here on this site. They said that 9000 feet is enough to fill a 55 gallon barrel, or was it two barrels. Anyway, I just got a quote on this from this website... http://icstc.thomasnet.com/item/pla...n-polypropylene-banding/wppro12h3008?&seo=110 and it came out to be $49.99 plus $18.91 freight (UPS ground) to my zip code in Illinois. What do any of you think about this strapping material? Also, can anyone please tell me a good method to clean my 55 gallon barrels? One more thing, I ordered my bulkheads today from this site, http://www.atlantarainbarrels.com/bulkheadfittings.htm What is a good way to tighten these bulkheads? Do I actually have to crawl inside to tighten them? Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I was going to do the same thing, but it ended up being cheaper for me to get bactitwist. I got it for free shipping in the spring. It's like $14.00 per bag. Excellent stuff and will last forever. I put two in my barrel. It comes in a net bag already, so you can skip that expense too. Google it and compare to the strapping and figure out which one is best for you.

Yes, you get into the barrel (or some small person does anyway. You can have one person turn it inside and the other person turn it outside. Remember that bulkheads turn opposite of a normal screwed object. Righty-tighty Lefty-loosey does not apply when it comes to bulkeads.

Use PL roofing sealant all around. Really get it in there good and run your finger around it as if you are caulking a tub. Leave it nice and smooth.

Ask a Question