sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember to leave the glass housing over the bulb to protect the bulb ,my neighbor made that mistake .Some one told her at the petsmart since she had a spot for a uv that all she had to do was put the uv bulb in the housing and did not tell her about leaving the glass protector on .She should have read the box or instructions that came with the uv that she bought ,but she did not .I was amazed that she would listen to an employee there and not double check that out .oh well

Reaction score
this a great thread, but i have a question, I have a Crystal ponds Skimmer, and it has 2 spaces for UV lights, The correct ones to fit the skimmer are not available anywhere so i was looking for an alternative solution, Is it better to add a UV light in the skimmer or add an in line one after the pump? I have seen a cheap china one "Jebao" one, I could get it and modify it to fit in the skimmer, or i could also get it with 2in PVC adapter to fit in line. I have 3600gph pump and the UV has a max flow rate of 4000gph.

As I am newbie, and about to start to build my first pind, expect this to be the first of many questions.

thanks
jp

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
If it will fit in the spaces in the skimmer box I would use those. I didn't want to mess around with the plumbing and all the other stuff that you have to do for a uv light, that's why I just cut the housing apart on mine and used what I had to to make it seal up right. It has worked great for my set up. If I have this issue again next year all I have to do is take off 2 screws and put the light in the openings and plug them in. I have no hoses to connect or valves to adjust. Just drop it in and go. I have the same size pump as you and it took 9 days to clear my pond

Reaction score
Hi Ryan,

thanks for the reply, I have a crystal ponds PSK2 which can take up to 2 UV24-PSK2

53143625-250x250-0-0_BeckettWaterGardeningCrystalPondProfessional.jpg

the only issue is that no-one has any stock of them. :sad:

I was looking at this

pu36_01.jpg

from E Bay, like I said it has a 2in PVC adapter which is good as I will be running 2in PVC pipe from the pump (in the skimmer) to my waterfall (which will have bio balls and filter material)

I was inspired by your post and thought" i could do that too", but i want to use the UV light in its most efficient way (in skimmer or inline??)

I am weighing up the maintenance side of things, Changing the bulb etc, against the accessibility issues (easy to do in skimmer, a potential pain in the a$$ in line), but am not sure which way to go for most efficient use.. I am sure the light I am looking at purchasing could be modified, but also as i have not build the pond or done any plumbing yet it could be added easily.

thanks
jp

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Jeboa UV unit and installed it in my filter system (inline), and it was one of the easiest plumbing additions I've done for my pond. However my system is probably a lot different than yours or Brandonsdad's. I imagine why you guys feel putting the unit inline is more difficult is because all your hoses are burried (just a guess), where most of my plumbing is exposed and in a pump room.
Frankly I'm surprized that Brandonsdad was able to retrofit a UV light from another unit into his skimmer, and get it sealed up properly. I wouldn't count on being able to do that with your unit, and I think you'd be much safer installing it inline the way it is meant to be.
Some pictures and a description of your pond plumbing arrangement would help people help you decide what might be the best way to install that UV unit.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Jeboa UV unit and installed it in my filter system (inline), and it was one of the easiest plumbing additions I've done for my pond. However my system is probably a lot different than yours or Brandonsdad's. I imagine why you guys feel putting the unit inline is more difficult is because all your hoses are burried (just a guess), where most of my plumbing is exposed and in a pump room.
Frankly I'm surprized that Brandonsdad was able to retrofit a UV light from another unit into his skimmer, and get it sealed up properly. I wouldn't count on being able to do that with your unit, and I think you'd be much safer installing it inline the way it is meant to be.
Some pictures and a description of your pond plumbing arrangement would help people help you decide what might be the best way to install that UV unit.

My pond will be 1ft below ground and 2ft above, I am building a hollow wooden frame that i can house all the cables and pipework in, then covering the sides. i can put access panels where necessary. As this is still a drawing on the page, i am open to all options and can change the design where necessary. the only thing I tied into is the skimmer and the pump as I have purchased those already.

Reaction score
I am building a hollow wooden frame that i can house all the cables and pipework in, then covering the sides. i can put access panels where necessary.
Sound like it would be a piece of cake installing it inline, and you could just mount it inside your box on the wall somewhere.

Reaction score
Sound like it would be a piece of cake installing it inline, and you could just mount it inside your box on the wall somewhere.

the installation won't be an issue, it the maintenance side of things, changing the bulb and any other stuff that needs to be done. How easy it to change the bulb when they are plumb in line?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I don't have a pump room where I'm able to have everything. That would be my dream someday, but I don't have the space right now to do that. This is why for my setup it was easier to put in the skimmer box.

IMG_2789.jpg

I took out all of my flex hose and hard piped everything. Increased my flow by alot doing it this way
IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

My bog runs right next to my skimmer box, and my pipe runs under the bog when it exits the skimmer box area.
IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

From there it runs up hill a little bit until it levels off for a few feet. From there is tee's off and feeds the bog and the waterfall.
IMG_2793.jpg

I wanted something that I could remove when I was done using it and with having everything in pvc, it would have been difficult, but possible. I also had to think of winter. Our winters in Iowa can be pretty cold and lots of snow. My retro fit idea was the best that I could think of. It wasn't hard at all. I just looked at the UV light at the store before I bought and pulled it out of the box to see if it was do able at all. The housing of the UV unit was the same size as the housing units in my skimmer box. I just had to cut the threaded top piece off the UV light housing because that is what seals the whole unit and depresses the saftey switch that is built into the cap. Without that switch depressed, the UV light won't come on. My only other option was to try and plumb the UV light kit into this pump.
IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

Yes actually behind that plastic gutter screen ( 3 layers of it). There is a pump hidden in the rocks that feeds my stream. The lenght of cord on the UV light isn't very long either so that was another reason I put it in the skimmer box.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
cheeseyfella, before buying the uv light kit, I would try to find the light somewhere and look at it first. If I can't actually touch something and look at it first, I don't buy. I have no problem with buying online for a cheaper price, but I'm the type to research the crap outta something before I go ahead with it. My UV light. I had been planning this for about a month, reading, searching, looking at reviews, seeing how much replacement bulbs are before I went ahead with it. It bugs my wife to no end, but I'm 99% sure when I buy something like this for something other than what it was intended for that it will work.

Reaction score
the installation won't be an issue, it the maintenance side of things, changing the bulb and any other stuff that needs to be done. How easy it to change the bulb when they are plumb in line?
I can't see that there is any difference changing the bulb, looks like they both have thread on caps, just unscrew and pull the bulb out. You'd just have to make sure when you mount it in the box you leave yourself room on the bulb end to pull it out.

If you buy one hoping the bulb will fit in your existing skimmer you might fluke out like Brandonsdad and it might just screw right in. If it doesn't you could always plumb it inline in your box. I don't see how you can go wrong.

Reaction score
cheeseyfella, before buying the uv light kit, I would try to find the light somewhere and look at it first. If I can't actually touch something and look at it first, I don't buy. I have no problem with buying online for a cheaper price, but I'm the type to research the crap outta something before I go ahead with it. My UV light. I had been planning this for about a month, reading, searching, looking at reviews, seeing how much replacement bulbs are before I went ahead with it. It bugs my wife to no end, but I'm 99% sure when I buy something like this for something other than what it was intended for that it will work.

thanks the advice and the pictures, looks a pretty impressive setup, i still have lots to learn. I am also like you, I spend a lot of time researching, which is kind of why I am not able to buy the correct UV for the skimmer, it was available on amazon for $70 and I kept putting it off, then it went out of stock :( I still don't want to rush into a purchase, but things are looking good for the one on EBay.

Ask a Question