Do Any of You Have Container Ponds?

Reaction score
I live in the desert of southeastern rural Arizona. Last spring I planted two blueberry bushes, 2 blackberry bushes, 3 banana trees, two tomato plants, and two rosemary bushes. One blackberry, 1 banana tree, 1 tomato plant, and 1 rosemary has survived in our blistering 110 degree heat.

In contrast, my water plants have thrived. The 3 water chestnut sprouts that I planted last year have blossomed into rushes that have outgrown their pots. I've had to repot them, splitting each plant into two containers.

The half dozen sprigs of watermint have riotously spread over the plant shelves. These plants have send out creeping vines, some of which have climbed out of the pond and taken root in the sandy soil. My backyard now smells pleasantly of crisp fresh mint.

The three frog bits have spread over the surface of both ponds.

Even at the height of summer, my ponds have been a pleasant oasis of greenery.

Now that we're getting into Fall, I've belated planted a couple of container ponds. They're not so much mini-ponds for fish as they are bog gardens. I purchased a couple of resin "half barrel" containers from Home Depot and lined them with leftover pond liner. I filled them with soil and transplated some of the water chestnuts. I also added zebra rushes, water mint, and frogbits. I then added enough water to saturate the soil and to leave a 1/4 inch of water over the surface. I didn't want to add more water since stagnant water can attract mosquitos.

Careful placement of these containers has spread greenery throughout my backyard.

Come next spring, I plan to acquire more containers and to plant vegetables in a hydroponic garden.

Has anyone else built a container pond? What have your experiences been?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
never tried planting pond plants in a container ...but i think i might try and see if i can over winter some of mine now youve given me the idea dave ...but i grow most of my veg in large pots anything that i can put compost into ...had peas carrots oinions runner beans radish and tomatoes this year and they all grew well !!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pictures ChefDave, Pictures...
banana.gif

Ask a Question