Do I have to many fish for my pond

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I believe it was P.T. Barnum who said "There's one born every minute." With the ever-increasing world population, it's probably more like one every six hours! Sorry, Capewind, but I was on my way to work this morning and didn't have the time to Google it, but now that I have, I am thoroughly enlightened! BTW, this fall I will be marketing a new product proven to control ALL forms of algae. Its main ingredient is composted B.S., of which there is, apparently, no shortage. :fingersx:
John

Reaction score
LMAO. Some products I think there is some merit (such as jump starting a new system with bacteria, even tho we never have), but other products, well ... In most cases, nature solves its own issues. Most folks dont know til they come someplace where info is freely shared with no profit motivation.

Please do not think it was because I was UNWILLING to answer it, just thought it was one of those times where you were better off looking yourself LOL. I couldnt give it a positive review from my glance, and I didnt want to speak too negatively about it. (insert circus theme music)

Reaction score
I haven't Googled it but let me guess...I know corn meal is used to suppress weeds by interfering with seed germination...so using internet thinking, algae is a plant, so it must come from seeds (nope) so corn meal must stop algae seeds from sprouting because plants growing in soil is the same as a pond (nope). Science isn't needed when we can just use logic (imagination).

Am I close? Now I'm actually interested enough to Google it.

Reaction score
LOL... one site I read gave specific high fives to the gluten in the corn ... I see algae as our friend, even if I am pissed off at it right now LOL. (The lilies have fuzzy green stems ... try to wipe it off, and it just floats away) ... I know in the spring, we'll have some grow, and as everything comes to life, it goes away ... Easy way to get rid of it growiing on waterfall rocks is to simply shut off the pump for a few hours. No scrubbing required. It doesnt like drying out:) Turn pump back on, and it washes it away:)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Waterbug said:
I haven't Googled it but let me guess...I know corn meal is used to suppress weeds by interfering with seed germination...so using internet thinking, algae is a plant, so it must come from seeds (nope) so corn meal must stop algae seeds from sprouting because plants growing in soil is the same as a pond (nope). Science isn't needed when we can just use logic (imagination).

Am I close? Now I'm actually interested enough to Google it.
Also, W.B., it seems that corn agar is used as a growth medium for beneficial organisms in a lab setting, so OBVIOUSLY it will grow the same organisms in your pond! Is that what they call "Fuzzy logic"?
John

Reaction score
This garden blog referenced 2 creditable sources, but no links which always makes me suspicious. But still, worth tracking down. Data is data and I don't mind being wrong, if the data is there.
Through research at University of Georgia and Texas A&M University, it was found that applications of corn meal to ponds, especially those used for aquaculture, was effective in reducing or eliminating algae.
I haven't been able to find any University of Georgia or Texas A&M University cornmeal research. However here is a funny article on using corn meal. The article it references also cites Texas A&M University research and I'm guessing the Boston garden blog above is probably talking about this same research which apparently has little or nothing to do with algae. Not sure because the Boston blog was only name dropping, not citing. Smells like typical internet story telling.

I'm starting to see the exact same cut-copy and pasted words being used and it looks like the source is Howard Garrrett the Dirt Doctor. Not actually a doctor of anything, but that's fine, he does cite a source. Here's one from a feed store that happens to sell cornmeal. The source cited seems to be Aquaculture Engineering 9 (1990) pages 175-186 so that would be good to read. Couldn't find the pages online and the Phoenix public library web site is down. I'll check later.

I'm seeing "cellulose in the cornmeal helps tie up the excess phosphorous in water" as being what stops algae. That can be a separate thing to track down. However, I've seen this exact same type of thinking before, like the plants consuming all nitrates and the algae starves to death and it all dies. Trouble is algae and plants don't need phosphorous or nitrate to stay alive. These are used to build cells, for growth. So at best algae could slowly decline over a long period, but not the big die offs often cited. So I'm not overly optimistic. The cellulose removing phosphorous thing I assume would be part of something is growing on the decomposing cornmeal and using the phosphorous. I don't know, but that kind of logic is a reoccurring "logic" theme that never makes any sense outside of a lab.

I'm losing interest again.

Reaction score
This reminded me of a Dr Johnson video. He says he tested something that looked like rabbit pellets but didn't remember what it was. It turned his water yellow and the fish died. I'd always assumed this was barley pellets because I'd never heard of cornmeal being dumped into a pond. Now I wonder if it was cornmeal.

Here's his words starting at 6:20.
BTW, while I think Dr Johnson's ideas and thoughts are very good on many pond concepts. But I don't agree with some of his conclusions about plants in a pond. But that's an experiment for another day, hopefully.

Reaction score
I really enjoy Linda Chalker-Scott, she writes and researches some good stuff. Here is her article on Cornmeal Myth Busted. She's addressing fungus though, not algae. But she concludes with:
[SIZE=12pt](As a footnote, let me say how annoying it is when gardening personalities grant themselves advanced degrees or certifications in their titles. C'mon folks - if your information is so great, do you really need to pretend you’re someone else?)[/SIZE]
Comments are pretty interesting and heated also.

Reaction score
I also find self anointed titles annoying.

I'm also not too fond of give away titles like Master Gardener mentioned in the comments. To become a Master Gardener requires around 40 hours of "classes" which is just rote learning to parrot back to people. And then you're required to like 40 hours repeating to people what you were taught to tell them. Really, that's a Master Gardener??? Pretty disgusting imo.

Ask a Question