Sitting by my pond wondering how many fish can I have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I know the calculation of 1 inch of fish per gallon. But what only you more experienced ponders may know, is how quickly my 2 shubunkin gold fish, 6 comets will multiple? I would really like two more of the shubunkin. My pond is small really only about 9x5, 24 to 36 inches deep. So would it be ok, or will I wish I hadn't in a few months? Oh and I have a small lava rock/waterfall filtration that I don't want to stress, as my water is clear to the bottom.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
They will multiply quite rapidly. Would not suggest adding any more fish.
A clarification--the inch to gallon method is not at all accurate. In fact neither length or pond capacity enters into the determining of fish load. Total fish mass to total available bioconversion is the proper and accurate method.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The calculation to do is how well do your fish cope when oxygen levels are low in the heat of summer

Assume you will have power failures, as the crumbling infrastructure becomes more stressed by global warming

4_9_14_Alyson_PowerOutagesSummaryGraphic_1050_685_s_c1_c_cclimatecentral.org.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I calculate you to have 841 gallons. If you go over 20 goldfish, you'll need a bog and a decent filter.

IMO you can add 2 more now without an issue but you'll get green water if they spawn.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
how quickly my 2 shubunkin gold fish, 6 comets will multiple?

On average, I get about 4-6 new baby fish that survive each year. In the past two seasons, I've gained 10 new fish from them breeding. Some forum members get considerably more. Soon, you'll have more fish than you ever wanted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
once they start spawning , at least 30 fishes will b added yearly , depends on food u give and spawning places in pond .
i rem 1st time i had 2 shubs in separate pond with 1 koi and in only one spawn 35 fry survived then i added more koi , 4 ot 5 survive each spawn and they can spawn every 2 month

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
once they start spawning , at least 30 fishes will b added yearly , depends on food u give and spawning places in pond .
i rem 1st time i had 2 shubs in separate pond with 1 koi and in only one spawn 35 fry survived then i added more koi , 4 ot 5 survive each spawn and they can spawn every 2 month
A koi would keep the fry in line. But my pond is just too small. I hope they don't produce that fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Work through the calculations in my signature below - How many fish can your pond handle?
We can help you with the calculations if you like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ouida. One inch per gallon is really high. I think you are thinking one inch per sq foot of surface area. Another axom is 1 inch per either 10 gallons or 20 gallons. Experienced ponders on the forum will laugh at these axioms, but these can be a helpful guide when starting out. My last pond was 80 sq ft and I always strived to keep my bioload under 80 inches. Of course this was for moderate size fish 3-5 inches with moderate filstration. My strategy backfired because the fish load multiplied 10 fold with babies however they are all fine and basically it never exceeded the 1 inch per sq ft.. The best idea is to start with less fish than you think the pond will hold and then see how it goes. Otherwise you will spend all your time on the sickness and disease pages of this forum.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That "inch/gallon" thing must be an old aquarium idea because my husband repeated that like a mantra when we first started with our pond and he was an aquarium keeper as a teenager.

The place where we purchased our koi told us 1000 gallons for your first koi and then the "inch of fish per square foot of surface area" rule kicks in.

Ask a Question