Do Ineed pond aeration?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK. I do plan on using a heater to keep the top from totally freezing

People use the term "pond heater" which is confusing - it's really more accurately called a de-icer.

Underwater plants should do fine - as you said it would take a really cold winter to freeze that much water solid. You could always insulate around the pond with bales of hay or mulch to keep it warmer if you were concerned about it freezing solid.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good idea @Lisak1. I was thinking of ways I could insulate it, and my only thought was that 2" thick pink insulation, but bales of hay or straw would be cheaper and probably do a better job. Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may have problems since your pond is totally above ground .The part of mine that is above ground has 2 layers thick of foam insulation between the 2 walls .Since wind will wrap around your pond you may have to watch it closely.Watch out for mice because it will warm your pond and also provide an area for field mice to borrow in a chew things

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi welcome , theoretically aeration not needed for 12 goldfishes with fountain but its good to have small aerator as backup and additional exchange of gases in winters and so on as fishes will multiply too .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you overdo anything, overdo aeration. Remember that oxygen retards anaerobic bacterial growth, so if the water absorbs oxygen to saturation, that's good. Also the water with the least oxygen is at the bottom of the pond, so if nothing mixes vertically, you have a potential for anaerobic promotion at the bottom where the little devils hide out anyway. Then when the thaw hits and water gets to 48 degrees, they may have a head start. I've got four waterfalls and two air pumps, a 60 and an 80 cu ft per (?) minute? Pump. I have never heard anyone complain that they had too much air exchange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Best thing I ever did for my pond and fish was to add an aerator. It really helped with circulation and the fish think its their own water toy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Best thing I ever did for my pond and fish was to add an aerator. It really helped with circulation and the fish think its their own water toy.
same here , it gives added flow oxygen , aerators are more reliable and low consumption of electricity , it gave me peace that even main pump stops , no worry

Ask a Question