Do Koi love a bubbler?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been trying to track down a leak in my pond so I've been turning off and on the waterfalls, doing the usual testing. I turned off the koi toilet with the bubbles and my fish the next day were all hiding under rocks. turned off the waterfalls and only had the bubbler giving them air and later that same day they were frisky once again. I repeated the test over the next few days and got the same results. Could this be because the water is more disturbed so they feel to move around more freely or is this just a coincidence?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My fish act the same way. When the waterfall is off, they don't swim around the surface much but instead stay deep.
However, my sister turns off her waterfall when she feeds the fish because the food was getting swept into the skimmer. So whenever she turns off her waterfall, her fish get really frisky and are all at the surface begging for food. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think @cas nailed it - they don't like change. If you left the bubbles off long enough, they'd get used to it and then get weirded out by the bubbles. Or, if like her sister, you rewarded them with food every time you turned off the bubbles they'd learn that was a good thing and would respond accordingly.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep mine love moving water and that is the reason for the spitter I have at the bottom of the pond and the 12 air stones and then the 2 filters dumping water into the pond .They seem to play in all the movement

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@texmaster The answer in short is yes and they will hit the bottom when it is switched off we leave ours running 24/7 365 days a year only turning the bubbles down a little throughout the winter but still running all the same.

Dave 54

Ask a Question