Have a large koi and goldfish pond. Have had this pond for 10 yrs. I love it. It has fountains and

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have had this pond for 10 yrs. never have had a problem until now. In the last week I have lost 3 goldfish that are 10 yrs old. I have not changed anything. Why are they dying?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Bright. I'm so sorry your fish died. I'm sure it feels awful to lose a pet you have had for 10 years. Can you provide more information about your pond like the size, number of fish, their type and size? , pumps, waterfalls etc. The more information you provide the more likely you will get good information about what to do. I'm also curious how much your fish have grown over the last few years. Also what time of the day did you find the dead fish and were there any noticible signs of disease? Thanks Keith

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, and sorry to hear about your losses! You get very attached to a pet after 10 years and I know I would be devastated if it happened to me!

Ditto what CometKeith said. We can't really help with answers unless we know more about your pond set-up. How big is your pond; how many and what size are your fish? What is the source for your water? If you use city water, have they recently changed or added chemicals? (we have to treat our water for chlorine and chloramines) Do you test your water, and what have the results been? Has there been a change [in anything] recently: added new or growth of existing fish; any changes in your care routine; possible run-off from the yard....? If you've added fish recently, do you quarantine them? Any predators? Did the dead fish show any signs of distress or changes in their behavior or habits or the way they looked prior to dying?

I see now where you said you've made no changes, but sometimes we make little changes that we don't think about, or don't think are important. Or Mother Nature makes changes for us....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and Welcome from a rather sunny Plymouth UK so sorry to hear of your loosing your goldfish like that we know what its like to loose a long lived and loved fish when we lost Tiny a koi we had owned for 28 years .
Soory there are lots of questions we need ask of you firstly Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate, Ph you say you have done othing to the pond for 10 years or so yes?
Are your fish showing any signs of infection , Fin Rot visible damage whate or grey colouration to the fish fead or dying gills [grey in colour etc .
Can you take phtos of the infected fish, please get them as clear as you possibly can.
Fingers crossed one of us will be able to join up the dots and save the rest of your fish

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and sorry to hear about your fish and how deep and big and how many fish and have you tested your water

Ask a Question