Do ponds get O2 in winter after the waterfall's shut down?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Only thing I would wonder about your tote you have your aerator in getting covered in snow and can it get air to it in those kinds of conditions .Here I don't get a lot of snow so have no idea ,but i built a house for my aerator ,the wooden box holds mine and it sits on concrete block and house is open on the bottom with just a board holding the aerator and foam insulation around the sides
DSC00969.JPG

Ad

Advertisements

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have used a small aerator (Laguna Aerator PT-1630) every winter since 2004 to keep a whole in the ice. I have the motor placed on the bench, protected by an over turned pot. The air stone is placed 12 inches below the surface. It successfully keeps a small hole in the ice all winter except for maybe a week or two in February when we get our coldest temps. In 2015 I started using a pond breather in addition to the aerator because I have more and larger fish and wanted to be sure to keep a hole open all winter.

winter, aerator.jpg

Ask a Question