cant there be a winter setup for icyponds which aerates & filters inside house?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i see many people and fishes have stress in icy cold places , cant there be a system DIY from piping that takes water inside a house or warmer cabin/hut with lots of aeration and movement of water plus filtration .... after that it takes water back to pond under ice ? seems very easy and cheap with same equipment we have

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
You must live in a mild climate, Usman.
People should be more concerned about good gas exchange rather than pond temperature.
u cant control temp like this anyway , im talking about gas exchange , if we drop water from some height like waterfall or create movement plus add some aerators it should work , like small filter room where it dsnt freeze and gas exchange is possible and bacteria funtions too

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It's much simpler to let the pond ice over and provide good gas exchange with something like a pond breather.
Bringing pond water inside to your house during cold winter weather will raise indoor humidity and cause mould problems.
For me to plumb in that kind of setup, I would have to bury my pipes 5 feet deep and bore through my house foundation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
It's much simpler to let the pond ice over and provide good gas exchange with something like a pond breather.
Bringing pond water inside to your house during cold winter weather will raise indoor humidity and cause mould problems.
For me to plumb in that kind of setup, I would have to bury my pipes 5 feet deep and bore through my house foundation.
yes iknow every one has different circumstances but just a thought it might work in some cases if not inthe house then in garage or separate chamber , i have seen some ppl have indoor ponds too in ice cold climates , there was one story i read he made a pond half outside and half inside from tunnel or some canal , in china japan its usual to have indoor pond , some places there are extremely cold for many months .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
In a cold climate, indoor humidity control is extremely important.
Pond breathers work in both hot and cold climates, I don't know how much simpler a setup one could ask for.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
yes iknow every one has different circumstances but just a thought it might work in some cases if not inthe house then in garage or separate chamber , i have seen some ppl have indoor ponds too in ice cold climates , there was one story i read he made a pond half outside and half inside from tunnel or some canal , in china japan its usual to have indoor pond , some places there are extremely cold for many months .

I'm not sure that you understand what an extremely cold climate is. I consider Japan and China to have quite mild climates.
Cold weather does not stop at the walls of buildings. You can insulate a building, but all that does is slow the transfer of heat. Without a heat source, the inside of an insulated building will eventually get just as cold as the outside temperature.
The same goes for the ground. Cold temperatures will penetrate into the ground, the longer and colder it remains, the deeper the freezing goes into the ground. Ground freezing is strong enough to break water pipes.
In the city here, our water pipes are buried 8 feet down, and severe cold weather will crack the ground sufficiently to break those pipes.
The only zone 13b I could find is Puerto Rico, is that correct?

Reaction score
cant there be a system DIY from piping that takes water inside a house or warmer cabin/hut with lots of aeration and movement of water plus filtration .... after that it takes water back to pond under ice ? seems very easy and cheap with same equipment we have
That basically what I've done with my pond, except the water goes inside to my pump/filter room. Right now my pond is completely frozen over but the water circulates out of the pond through the bottom drain and into a settling tank in the filter room, then through a submerged filter in the settling tank and back to the pond again. Because the settling tank doesn't freeze over it effectively becomes the hole in the ice for allowing oxygen back into the water and undesirable gasses to escape. I have a small space heater in that room but generally only have it set on the lowest setting unless I plan to go in there for an extended period of time in which case I sometimes turn it up. Because the room is insulated so well and not very big it only takes a few minutes for that heater to heat it up to 80 F (26 C) in there.
I've done the calculations and if I decided to let that space heater run full blast all the time it would cost me about $30 a month. The only problem I have with humidity in there is with the warm air leaking past the metal door it tends to condense and freeze around the door jamb when it's very cold out and has a tendency to freeze the door shut. Not much of a problem though because once it warms up again the ice melts and the door opens freely again. In a pinch if I really need to get in there I can use a hair dryer to free the door.
This video shows the pond is still open a bit, but it has since frozen over completely and the ice is about 6" thick.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Mucky, do you still have that picture of the inside door of your pump/filter room with all that frost on it?

Reaction score
Mucky, do you still have that picture of the inside door of your pump/filter room with all that frost on it?
The pictures are below. That was the first winter, I have since made a 3" thick insulated R20 Styrofoam insert that fits inside the door jam and does a pretty good job of holding the heat in, but of course it's not air tight and I still get some frost around the door, but not nearly as bad.
full

full

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks, I wanted Usman to see what happens when high indoor humidity meets a cold surface, like an outside door.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That would be similar to geothermal heating like they do with houses.I have my septic tank a few feet from my pond and that helps keep the pond warmer in the winter .I saw a show on tv where they used there swimming pool to heat and cool the house .They wrapped pipes around the pool .It was a couple of years ago .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
That basically what I've done with my pond, except the water goes inside to my pump/filter room. Right now my pond is completely frozen over but the water circulates out of the pond through the bottom drain and into a settling tank in the filter room, then through a submerged filter in the settling tank and back to the pond again. Because the settling tank doesn't freeze over it effectively becomes the hole in the ice for allowing oxygen back into the water and undesirable gasses to escape. I have a small space heater in that room but generally only have it set on the lowest setting unless I plan to go in there for an extended period of time in which case I sometimes turn it up. Because the room is insulated so well and not very big it only takes a few minutes for that heater to heat it up to 80 F (26 C) in there.
I've done the calculations and if I decided to let that space heater run full blast all the time it would cost me about $30 a month. The only problem I have with humidity in there is with the warm air leaking past the metal door it tends to condense and freeze around the door jamb when it's very cold out and has a tendency to freeze the door shut. Not much of a problem though because once it warms up again the ice melts and the door opens freely again. In a pinch if I really need to get in there I can use a hair dryer to free the door.
This video shows the pond is still open a bit, but it has since frozen over completely and the ice is about 6" thick.
excellent setup! thats what i was imagining so it is practical and fish looks active happy just frog is sad you bought him outside in cold lol jk
its very neat , all filter , pumps , electric etc at one covered place easy to clean maintain and protected from weather yet functional all year . as many ppl have fish deaths in winter even with aerators breathers , it must be very good for places where ice is prolonged so they can maintain good quality of water & gas exchange all year .

Ask a Question