Do snakes eat fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great, we have garter snakes I don't worry about them.
So I found this sucker down by the road today
And it tried to bite me then fled into the bushes.
So they are definitely around

Attachments

• 20220729_124103.jpg
    20220729_124103.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 40

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are aggressive if they feel threatened. When I just stood still no striking, make a move towards them and they strike. The caught ones did a lot of striking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So do I just not 14 eating my poor fish and frogs.
I totally understand! We only had one Nessie & decided to relocate her because of the way she was decimating our frog population (and I didn't want her to start in on our one year old koi!) I still miss seeing her around every day, though.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was so neat when I saw the first one, big fat female. She must have dropped the babies, they can have up to 30. The invasion began! I had no intention of relocating her until I started seeing fish in the mouths. Removed 4 last year, whew thought done, nope removed 10 this year. So far we have not seen any others, at this second might be water snake free, at this moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Your place is just the 'Club Med' for snakes! :ROFLMAO: We started out last year with two, but then one just disappeared. Since we removed the one remaining one earlier this year I've been sort of wondering if the other one might show back up again, but so far I haven't seen any. This year we just have box turtles hanging around! It's always something.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Usually the snakes move when I'm walking but I almost stepped on this big one I didn't see it right away!
Our Nessie got very casual about our proximity to her when we were around the pond. She'd just sit & bask on the rocks without moving unless we reached out & came within a couple feet of touching her. Made catching her with my snake tongs really easy - just walked up & made a quick grab.
nessie & fish 02.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Snakes I CAN deal with with koi they will only go for 3inch or less and to me that's just crowder population control.
It's a dang wood chuck that's getting under my collar lately. Pulling apart the sides of my pond I think it is also responcible for the disappearance of the painted turtle.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Snakes I CAN deal with with koi they will only go for 3inch or less and to me that's just crowder population control.
It's a dang wood chuck that's getting under my collar lately. Pulling apart the sides of my pond I think it is also responcible for the disappearance of the painted turtle.
How big was the turtle? I read they can eat small ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
4 to 6 inches i have see a groundhog munching on one years ago... but i have to admit i love watching them eat apples

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
4 to 6 inches i have see a groundhog munching on one years ago... but i have to admit i love watching them eat apples
Well darn then what ya gonna do? Maybe trap and release? Wonder if there is more than one.

Ask a Question