DOES ANYONE "RAISE" MEALWORMS?

Reaction score

1. FOUND THIS ON CRAIGSLIST SOMEONE IS SELLING A MEAL WORM BOX!

CL washington, DC maryland all for sale / wanted farm & garden - by owner

ReplyReply to: [email protected] [?]
    flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-07-19, 10:56AM EDT

Mealworm farm - $100 (Potomac MD)

You will literally never have to buy mealworms again. This setup has been running for 8 months and has 200 beetles laying eggs and 2000+ mealworms at different stages of life. The beetles are in the top drawer with a mesh wire bottom that allow the eggs to fall through to the second bin. All you have to do is give them a total of 6 baby carrots per week and switch the second bin with the bottom one. That is all the work necessary to raise hundreds/thousands of mealworms per month. Animals that eat mealworms include Bluebirds, chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl, quail, pheasants, most wild birds, hedgehogs, sugar gliders, turtles, lizards, frogs, toads, newts, salamanders, goldfish and piranhas.

Keywords: Bluebird, chicken, turkey, guinea fowl, quail, pheasant hen hens , most wild bird, hedgehog, sugar glider, turtle, lizard, frog, toad, newt, salamander, goldfish and piranha.

If you have simple questions please email tham to me. For more complicated questions such as "how does it all work!" Include your phone number.

Thanks,

Tyler
    • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 3945815730
    Posted: 2013-07-19, 10:56AM EDT
    email to a friend

Reaction score
I got tired of buying crickets for our frogs, they cost us about 5 cents each, so we decided to try raising some by following the directions we got online. We now have what looks like could be a couple hundred thousand tiny crickets in a 30 gallon aquarium. If my estimation is correct that works out to $10,000 worth of crickets. :banana:
Unfortunately they are all too small yet to feed to the frogs, but they are growing fast.

Reaction score
NanWest said:
Never did crickets how do you do that? For some reason I though the bought crickets are sterile.
Definitely not sterile.
There are a lot of youtube videos on how to breed crickets, it's really pretty easy. Problem is it takes time, I should have done this a couple months sooner I could have saved some money. By the time our crickets are big enough to feed to our frogs the summer will be nearly over.
Next year I'll start in March, not the end of July.
I don't know what I'm gona do this year with all these crickets when they get big, maybe I can find someone with a lizard or something they need to fatten up.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mmathis said:
I have my first batch of "hatchlings!" Teensy little bitty mealworms!
Congratilations, TM! Does this mean you're going to change your name to Meal Worm Mommy??? :banana:
John

Reaction score
Do koi eat meal worms? I might have to try this. We have chickens and we give them freeze dried but they would love live ones and I wonder if the koi would eat them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After toying with this idea for a while I did an experiment and bought the mealworm and put them in the critter box. It's been about 3 weeks and nothing much happened, a lot turned black and died?

I'm wondering if the 'cricket food' (those orange thing in the jar) will be ok to give to the mealworm too.

It might be too cold in my house so they are growing slowly.. oh well, it's almost winter anyway so I have time :)

Ask a Question