Does biofilter have to run continuously?

Reaction score
I did a search on this and didn't see an answer. Is there consensus on this? Does a biofilter need to have water pushing thru all the time?

I'm asking cause all we've got is a direct-solar pump setup.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the bacteria that makes a biofilter work is AEROBIC. meaning it needs oxygen to survive. the water movement keeps oxygenated water available to the bacterial colony. there is also ANAEROBIC bacteria that exists in low oxygen levels. they perform the same tasks except the anaerobic bacteria produces toxic gases as a byproduct. when the oxygen levels in the filter drop enough the aerobic bacteria dies off and starts to become anaerobic. the main gas produced is hydrogen sulfide which can be harmfull to pond inhabitants and gives off a "rotten egg" odor. if theres a build up of a food source in the filter an airpump and airstones would greatly extend the life expectancy of the bacterial colony... but a contiuous influx of water is carrying food and oxygen, so this is a safer bet. a combination of an aerator and water pump better yet.

Reaction score
Never switch off your fish pond pump for more than a few minutes, whether that be a large Koi pond external pump or a smaller submersible pump system if you want to keep your Koi and goldfish alive. A garden pond pump serves several functions within the majority of garden ponds, including: the circulation of pond water, driving a waterfall and/or water feature. These are all secondary purposes compared the major function of any fish pond pump. The primary purpose is to supply oxygenated pond water to the Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter bacteria living on the pond filter media. These bacteria are responsible for breaking down toxic ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates , in what is known as the Nitrogen Cycle or Nitrification process.

The water chemistry involved in maintaining healthy pure pond water is a somewhat complicated issue and beyond the scope of this article. What I will do however is to point out some of the processes taking place in the pond water and how they interact ...

At the interface between water and atmospheric air, oxygen is absorbed into the water. The amount of oxygen absorbed believe it or not is affected by the temperature of the water; warmer water does not absorb oxygen as easily as cold water. Have you ever noticed that on hot sunny days Koi and goldfish will often be seen gasping at the surface for air? If so this is the reason why.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My bio in 3 filters can and has survied for 5 hrs with no pump and air.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, although I have read that 5 hours should be the maximum time without flow to ensure the colony survives.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is my first pond in a freezing area, do you turn off the bio in the winter or leave on?

PS3

Reaction score
you should never never turn off your bio filter i have a good size air pump. with 2 air stones in my 55 gallon skippy bio filter

the bacteria dies when the water goes under 55 degrees
so yes turn off your bio filter in the winter and take it in.
have an air stone and pond deicer and the fish will be ok

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That was what I was thinking also, we may just turn off our waterfall stream system in the winter.
The filter will be a large bog bio filter.

Thanks

PS3

Reaction score
yes turn every thing off water fall, bio filter. uv light. and take them in.
u can trun the pond off when you see the frist lite ice on the pond
and if you have floating plants in the pond take them out.
all plants will die in the cold

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks
I have read where the bog plants come back like the in ground plants, once it begins to warm up again. It will be an experiment this year to see the best way to handle things, the main thing is to not freeze up the pump, or lines

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your waterfall will likely freeze a re-direct the water so that needs to be shut down. I would keep circulation in the pond and an airstone. I have heard of using a soccar ball to help keep an open spot along with air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I keep my bio-waterfall and bog running thru the winter. Have done it for years with no problem. I don't know how cold it gets where you are tho.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sunshine said:
I keep my bio-waterfall and bog running thru the winter. Have done it for years with no problem. I don't know how cold it gets where you are tho.

We normally don't drop below 10f (per my honey) but every now and then get colder. A ton of snow last year, though.

This winter will be an experiment, we are using an exterior pump, may think of putting a small submersible in for the winter, and shut down the exterior.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your may be better off not using a pump at all during the winter if the pond freezes over. just an air pump and line. you run the line 1/2 the depth of your pond and the air bubbles rising will keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange. when water hits cold winter temps, the water temperature layers invert and the warmest water settles on the bottom, this is where your fish will stay for the winter...if you run a pump it may break the stratification of the water

Ask a Question