Dropsy or genetics?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a carp/comet gold fish in my backyard pond. Approximately 8+ inches. About 8 years old.
Last spring we noticed it was unusually fat, but chocked it up to it being a hearty eater.
This year however it has ballooned. It looks like it ate a baseball.
It swims, eats and acts normally. But it's startling to look at. I've been feeding it peeled peas for about a week, with no change. I'd post a picture, but don't know how. Has anyone experienced this before?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Any advice

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome? Is this the only fish you have? Are the scales sticking out where they look like a pine cone? How big is the pond?

Could be a female, big with eggs. Could be dropsy, a mostly fatal disease caused by internal organ shutdown. It could be a tumor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond is between 300-400 gallons.
Not sure about the pine cone appearance. It's not obvious.
There are 7 other fish in the pond with it. Today it's showing the first signs of stress. But I have no way of quarentining a fish of this size.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update. Unfortunately I found the fish belly up a few hours later. No gill or fin movement. The other fish seemed to stay away. I scooped it out and placed it in a 5 gallon bucket of pond water, "just incase ". 2 hours since and I'm positive it's dead. Glad it was fast. It will be buried next to the pond, while I do a huge water change.
Thanks for the reply.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653261529030.gif
@valetep
Sorry the fish died but like you said it didn't suffer as it went fast.

Ask a Question