Dug - but getting nowhere

Reaction score
Plan was to slope it.
It's not a water-table problem as the bottom on pond is still a good 2' above road level which is way above water-table.

I think at moment it fills as it's the 'big hole' and surface water is running there .... maybe once liner in place and edging all around there will be no water 'run-in'' and problem will go away (hope)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I feel your pain, I can't dig past 2' without water as I live in swamp low lands, so i put rocks in the bottom for appearance and holding the liner down. We had 13" of rain week before last and the water level was at the top of my pond barrier which like you is 4-5" above ground o_O but lost no fish and liner did not budge or loose shape :)

Reaction score
Jason said:
I feel your pain, I can't dig past 2' without water as I live in swamp low lands, so i put rocks in the bottom for appearance and holding the liner down. We had 13" of rain week before last and the water level was at the top of my pond barrier which like you is 4-5" above ground o_O but lost no fish and liner did not budge or loose shape :)

Making me feel a bit more confident about this.

Reaction score
Jason said:
The Liner floats because of just water pushing water, but Rocks... Don't Float lol ;)
what I was concerned about is that while rocks would keep liner underneath rock in place, if there was a lot or water behind then liner would bulge & bubble inwards other than where rocks are ........ or maybe this won't happen as water either side of liner ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sargan said:
Plan was to slope it.
It's not a water-table problem as the bottom on pond is still a good 2' above road level which is way above water-table.

I think at moment it fills as it's the 'big hole' and surface water is running there .... maybe once liner in place and edging all around there will be no water 'run-in'' and problem will go away (hope)
My pond is at the bottom of our sloped land. I made sure the edge around the pond sloped away to send any runoff around the pond. When it rains watch for runoff see where it goes then fix that spot. While I was building I was outside watching every time it rained to see where the water ran. So far no issues and we have had some horrendous rains. I have rivers running down the slope during some rains, but none towards the pond.

sargan said:
what I was concerned about is that while rocks would keep liner underneath rock in place, if there was a lot or water behind then liner would bulge & bubble inwards other than where rocks are ........ or maybe this won't happen as water either side of liner ?
The liner will bulge where rocks are not holding it down, best thing to do is stop the runoff from going into the pond and under the liner.

Reaction score
I'll raise edge of pond by 6" compared to surrounding area ... will stop run-off.
Maybe it's osmotic pressure at moment causing hole to fill ... as the hole allows water to in effect be sucked into it.
Once full of water (other side of liner) osmotic pressure difference should go .. (maybe ?)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would think with your pond being 6" above the ground , you will have more water in the pond than under it.
More water = more weight to keep the liner down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't have rock everywhere in my pond to hold the liner down, and the sides are still straight edge shelves like the day I dug it. Guess I'm lucky and don't have that problem :dunno:

Ask a Question