I need some help/advice for my first Koi pond build!!! Hole is already dug.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got the hole dug for my first Koi pond picture attached. I will be buying a 20x20 liner, not sure which kind I should but tho as there are didn't materials to pick from. It is 3000 gallon , 10x10x4 with a 2 foot wide by 20 inch deep shelf for plants. I am looking to purchase a pump, filter system, skimmer, waterfall and small fountain and whatever else I need.. I am not looking to cut into my liner tho. I was wondering if someone could help me with the equipment i need to purchase. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_9204.JPG
    IMG_9204.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 383
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think everyone would agree with @Big Lou 's advice to go with EDPM liner. Either purchase an underlayment, or use old carpeting, to protect the liner.

You'll need electric with a GFCI breaker and a water source, near your pond. Some people prefer external pumps, others go with submersible pumps. Energy consumption is something to consider, when looking at pumps. Quite a variety of filters available too. Some use a bog / wetland, pressurized filters, moving bed, sand and gravel.....lots to choose from.

If you're planning on koi, they grow quickly. Shubunkin look very much like koi, and are hardy and easy to care for.

Welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, I will purchase the EDPM liner. I already have some carpet for underlayment also. I have electric ran out beside the pond already just have to install outlet for it and my water hose reaches the pond to. I planned on putting gravel on the shelf and on the bottom of the pond. But when it comes to the filters and pumps I just have no clue what I need or what I should be using.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
That is some fantastic looking soil for digging,I suggest making it bigger! If my dirt looked that good I would have a 5000 gallon pond instead of a 2500. As for the pump for yiur current size I use and recomend matala geyser flow pump. I have a 4000 gph model. I recomend and use a skimmer but you'll need to cut into the liner but that's easy and foolproof if yiur careful. As for gravel on the bottom ,it's nothing but a debris catcher and I wouldnt use it . If it's in full sun then get an appropriate uv clarifier, you wont regret that.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
After seeing your photo, I believe that you may need to re-calculate the capacity of this pond.
The section that is 4 feet deep is only 6 x 6. 6 x 6 x 4 x 7.48= 1077 gallons. The remaining area is a total of 64 sq/ft (100 minus 36) x 1.667 deep by 7.48=798 gallons or a total of approximately 1875 gallons. Your pump and basic filtration should be based on this (1875) figure.

A pump rated at between 2800 gph and 3600 gph will adequately serve your needs.

A gravel bottom will entail little maintenance if a skimmer is installed and the above size pump is used. Gravel should be no more than 2 inches deep.

Your filtration should be based on eventual fish load. How many fish were you planning on? Keep in mind the lower capacity than originally thought.

Last edited:

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
The job specific underlayment is the only stuff to consider.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What are your plans for the soil peninsula that is jutting out into the pond on the right side of the photo? Need to be careful not to create dead spots (poor to no circulation) on either side of this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are your plans for the soil peninsula that is jutting out into the pond on the right side of the photo? Need to be careful not to create dead spots (poor to no circulation) on either side of this.

I am taking that part out now. I was going to put my waterfall on it but now im going to put it on the outside of the pond.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
10x10x4 with a 2 foot wide by 20 inch deep shelf for plants.

Going to be a nice pond! If it were me, I would make the shelves less than 2 feet wide. I wish I would have made mine smaller - just wide enough to set the pots of plants on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am only planing to put 3 - 4 Koi in it also.
Going to be a nice pond! If it were me, I would make the shelves less than 2 feet wide. I wish I would have made mine smaller - just wide enough to set the pots of plants on.

Do you think 1 foot would be enough?

Ask a Question