Pond dug, liner in, water in, now plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I rough finished my pond. I estimate it's between 300 - 400 gallons. I have two step ledges (about 18"x12"x12"-16" deep). I was thinking of adding a basket type container, filling with peagravel and adding a plant in each.

I was looking for something that has floating leaves, not too big. I really only want it around the steps, not to expand and cover the whole pond. Looking through the plant speces thread, I may have found a plant. How does a Water Clover (Marsilea mutic) sound for this? If not, is there another species that might be better suited.

My LFS usually has a nice variety of plants, not sure about pond plants, since this is my first pond and I wasn't looking for such. I imagine they should have or be able to get what I need, just need to know what that is.

I just filled the pond last night with municipal water and haven't added any chemicals yet. I was hoping that the chlorine would just dispurse my itself in a day or so, but after reading I supose I should get some dechlorinator.

Reaction score
Water clover can be invassive too .. I dont have any, and want some LOL ... I think you will find most plants can become invassive in the smaller ponds, but the question is what LOOK do you want. One of my favorites for some height (not a monster) is water celery ... but again, invassive ... I dont care, when it gets to a point where it is a pain in the arse, I'll just go out there and take the hand pruners to it and hack it back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The water celery seems to come out of the water from the photos I've seen. I prefer the flush look of the clover.

capewind - when you prune your pain in the arse plant, do you just snip off the stalk or something else?

I'm looking at adding Comets to my pond, since they seem size appropriate. I believe they like to nip at the roots of plants, that's why I'm looking to place they in a basket and fill with pea gravel. Can I just put the plant with bare roots in the pea gravel or do they need a container with dirt? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to pond plants.

Reaction score
On this pond, I havent had to chop yet, as this pond just went in last year, and I am still scrounging for plants. Went a few years with no pond:-( Hubby takes care of several ponds, and he just rips til he cant rip anymore, and then chops with the pruners ... the deal is he warned me against planting it, and if I want it, I will be the one to prune it ...

Another plant to check out that grows fairly low is water cress. Invassive, and will climb on the rocks, but as my fish keep demostrating, they love to eat it (sore subject LOL) ...

Planting right into the pea gravel is fine, with or without a pot ... although a pot will HELP keep most items somewhat contained (or until they jump out of the pot LOL) ...

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
A fast growing plant is good thing if you regularly remove the excess from the pond. Each handful you take out is that much nitrates in the system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
HTH said:
A fast growing plant is good thing if you regularly remove the excess from the pond. Each handful you take out is that much nitrates in the system.
Do you need to remove roots or just cut the stalks and leaves? If it's the leaves and stalks, then agreed, would be better. But, if you have to dig up the roots and pull, that could present an issue of severe maintenance.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
My bad.

If the roots are in a pot it does not help remove nitrates. tI may be leaching them to the water.

Mostly we are thinking floating plants here. But some plants that are traditionally potted in ponds can go bare root.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
HTH said:
My bad.

If the roots are in a pot it does not help remove nitrates. tI may be leaching them to the water.

Mostly we are thinking floating plants here. But some plants that are traditionally potted in ponds can go bare root.
I'm thinking of something that has roots mounted in pea gravel (no dirt) inside a basket that has stalks and leaves extending towards the surface. Don't the leaves contain nitrates or do they only have them in the roots?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I would trim the tops and let them grow back from the roots.

Educated guess here. Plant do not contain nitrates but they feed on nitrates and when they decompose the process releases nitrates. Well maybe not so educated :)

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I heard duckweed is really good for utilizing nitrates and fish love eating it. Also heard it grows like crazy.

I just ordered 2 cups and turned it loose in the pond. It looks pretty cool when the fish pop up through it to nibble a bit.

I also ordered some water lettuce and hyacinth. I am planning on putting the hyacinth in my bio filter and the open space just in front of my bog. Thought that would be good to contain it since it really takes off.

Ask a Question