sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one for years at my house in NJ but in the move to VA it was sort of destroyed and died on me

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used to keep mine in a pot of water and just would trim the dead parts and would cut it back to the bottom when it got scraggly .I had it in a pot and just put a bigger pot under it to keep the roots damp .Had it for 10 years also .My son had the plants in his truck with other stuff and for got about them and did not water them .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just cut mine down after a killing frost and mulch it over for winter ,
mine are just planted in the ground , They come back each year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I live in northeast Ohio, so I too have brought my umbrella palm in over the winters. I keep it in my basement, in a tub of water, under a grow light (only b/c I don't have enough window space). I do not cut it back, but just treat it like a houseplant. Watch for spider mites. I usually bring mine in once the night time temps go down to 45 degrees. Last year the plant was so big (3 feet tall), I decided to start new plants - very easy. Good luck!

Ask a Question