Dying Thoroseal/Masterseal 581

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told that best practice is to have my pond bottom black. A rep at a builders supply store said I can mix black concrete dye in my Masterseal581. Is this true? I am also having a hard time finding black concrete dye

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whatever color your pond bottom is will be covered by healthy algae growth and will be not visible below the water line within a few months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Makes sense, thanks much. But still overwhelming consensus said to make it black.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was told that best practice is to have my pond bottom black. A rep at a builders supply store said I can mix black concrete dye in my Masterseal581. Is this true? I am also having a hard time finding black concrete dye
yes black browns tans white yellow pretty much any color you want

Reaction score
Country
United States
I called a quickcreete representative and ask them if I could use the quikrete concrete and some thorough seal, and he said man I can't make no guarantees but you'll probably be all right

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
quickrete can be used as the base for your master seal. but not alone i don't believe sakrete has a waterproof. But i can guarantee sika does.

Reaction score
Country
United States
quickrete can be used as the base for your master seal. but not alone i don't believe sakrete has a waterproof. But i can guarantee sika does.
Something happened when I typed this, it came out saying like I was talking about the concrete, when I meant the concrete dye

Reaction score
Country
United States
Something happened when I typed this, it came out saying like I was talking about the concrete, when I meant the concrete dye
Because quikrete sells a concrete dye and it's 100% compatible with quikrete, I just don't know if it is with the master sale 581

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if should be fine. masterseal if I'm not mistaken is is a dry latex additive within the product. a little dye shouldn't be a problem . Do a test see if it hardens i'd put money down it will

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mixed up the batch exactly like it says and it was way way too thick. I called the master seal wrap and we couldn't figure out what's going on and he asked me how soon it was after I sprayed the concrete to which I replied after I had fully dried as per what the spec sheet calls for, he says oh no we actually just wet it a little bit and I'm like dude the spec sheet says to do the opposite he goes we don't do it like that let me get back to you so once I wet it down I started to have better coverage but it was not going on very well at all.

Also the dye only seemed to really be black in the spot where I hadn't wetted it and I ended up using a lot more thorough seal, I'm going back tomorrow and see what's going on, but I think I'm going to have to add a lot more black I was adding 8 oz per 50 lb bag.

There are some spots they're a little bit more wetter than the others and I don't know if I really screwed the pooch on this one we'll see I guess

Attachments

• IMG_20230209_163418011_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230209_163418011_HDR.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230209_163600766_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230209_163600766_HDR.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
8 oz is a lot . that will also demand more water or additive be used. your consistency should be like a creaming peanut butter. and to smooth it out once it is in place take a big wall paper brush for adding paste or any brush that can throw water onto the material you just added to the area. this will allow for the surface to be parged and smooth.
looks a little late now but you'll know next time.

Ask a Question