Eeep - new pond and fighting for what to do, where to start!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 8a/b
Country
Germany
Ammonia level: Have tested the TAN and it is coming out in the Yellow, so it is perfect! 0mg/ltr....hurrah!

The question is: Can you even have high Nitrite levels with a 0mg/ltr reading??

Also, retested the PH, and it is slightly down to 8.5mg/l. Presumable due to removing loads of algae.

Don't seem to be having any new blooms since added some good bacteria to control it, and general bacteria too. Due to add another dose soon. The algae I cannot get out is going quite brown and dull - does this mean I am winning the fight, here?? Still daily sweeping out the algae bits I can get, although now it is harder to get it all out, because it is between stones, and sort of breaking up, I think...I hope... :)

Reaction score
Mudpuppies, that's cute. Had to look that one up :cheerful: Around here, we call tend to call them salamanders or sirens. I like sirens, because my hubby tends to sound like a siren when he spots one. Maybe if I teach the spousal unit to refer to them as mudpuppies he will be so impressed with the cute sounding name he will forget they resemble small snakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 8a/b
Country
Germany
Oh no! Dianne! That is terrible! They are nothing like snakes!!!! Poor mud puppies! Personally, when I saw them, because I like here in Germany, and I didn't have enough German words (still don't but that is an ongoing process!) I was describing them as half long frog and half fish with legs! Maybe that might help you spousal unit! Just tell him they are water gekos - everyone loves a Geko! ;)
KnobTailedGeko_8110.jpg

Or like you get Stretch Limos . they are Stretch Frogs?? Worth a try!!

Also, they eat spiders, so frankly, they are high up in my good books! I am like a siren if I see a spider!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a cutie! I would love to see them around.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol I love all lizards. We have some around his late dad's house we are working on in florida with the neatest curled tails. They are everywhere and love to eat bugs.
My yorkies loved to chase the lizards we had everywhere in our yard in arizona. None here in maryland though, darn it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, that's so cute! Not sure I've ever seen newts or salamanders around here (but only because I don't go out looking in their natural habitats). All I ever see here (around the house) are green anoles and skinks, and a gecko. I like the geckos but they tend to be elusive, and disappear very quickly!

Ask a Question