Egret ate ALL of my fish!

Reaction score
I think the net configured some way is the answer as well. Not sure exactly how we will do it but I know I want to be able to sit and enjoy seeing my fish. We were out working in our yard today and we saw the darn egret across the lake that got our fish, but can't be mad at it since that's the natural order of things..it was our fault for not realizing we needed to do something to protect them. Sorry about your fish too! It's so sad to look at my pond and see nothing in it.

Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with my fish running into my fish tunnel and getting hurt. I've only seen a couple of fish that have been in it. Oh well it's there if they need it. I don't worry about herrons but I kinda worry about raccoons, thank god I haven't had any visit yet. That would kill me to loose my fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Raccoons never bother our pond, but Mr Heron sure does and flew over for the first time tonight, so after this big snow storm that is coming the net goes back up.

Reaction score
Raccoons never bother our pond, but Mr Heron sure does and flew over for the first time tonight, so after this big snow storm that is coming the net goes back up.
Good luck! I would love to see photos of everyone's setup using nets as I would think there would be alot of ways to do them. I think we are going to need a 20x20 or 23x23 pond liner so for first time I will list a wanted ad in the classified. Do these get pretty good results?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The main problem will be is it torn, small holes...........I would prefer to buy a new one. You might find someone that has a unused one.

When I get my net back up I will post some pictures for you. It is mainly the walk out area I need to protect, but net the entire pond it is easier.

Reaction score
pond batting filter.JPGcrate.JPGfish pavers.JPGnetting 1.JPGnetting 2.JPG
addy1 said:
The main problem will be is it torn, small holes...........I would prefer to buy a new one. You might find someone that has a unused one.

When I get my net back up I will post some pictures for you. It is mainly the walk out area I need to protect, but net the entire pond it is easier.
UNBELIEVEABLE NEWS!!!! I was out back yesterday using a net to get some stuff out of the pond when I happended to look at the crate in this photo and I saw gold and thought NO WAY! I called my husband outside and I lifted the crate out of the water thinking a fish went in there that was hurt or something and instead found FIVE of my fish hiding in there!! Couldn't believe my eyes!! I went and got food and tossed it in for them and saw one of the fish go over to the bog section which is made up of pavers on top of each other. I threw some food in around the perimeter of that and THREE more fish came out that had been hiding inbetween the pavers! So..only lost one fish. I never looked at the camera video that my husband watched so the fish that he saw the egret eat was the little inexpensive fish that were 1 1/2 - 2" long. Don't know how he mistook those for the 4-6" fish. I stood guard while he ran out to get netting that we could cover the pond with which you see in the photo here. I cannot tell you how happy I am, but I know you understand and I was almost in tears. You can see in the one pic in the lower right where there is a fish in between a paver. The netting isn't perfectly set up, but the fish are protected and when we redo the pond we can do something better.

Reaction score
Good to hear GL . Always tuff to hear about fish being lost , glad this one has a happy ending . I have not had that issue until recently when I lost 2 . Been working for the last 2 weekends and and after work to put up a sun sail , netting and fencing to protect my fish . I sometimes wonder at the time , effort and money I spend on keeping and protecting $3 to $10 fish . But once I bring them home I feel like their my responcabilty and when its all said and done the enjoyment I get from my pond and fish makes it all worth while .

Pond on my freinds .

Reaction score
That is the most wonderful news gardenlady! Do not be too worried if your fish keep to hiding for a long while. It has been several months since the great blue heron came for sushi and the remaining fish are still very skittish. And the dang bird was back again today. Your netting looks just like mine, and it works to keep the big birds out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The heron is flying over low every night now, has not stopped yet. Going to get the pond net back up this weekend. I would not miss any fish if it snagged a few. Too many to count and keep track of, except for a few really different ones. But don't want to invite it to empty out the pond.

Reaction score
jupiter1 said:
Good to hear GL . Always tuff to hear about fish being lost , glad this one has a happy ending . I have not had that issue until recently when I lost 2 . Been working for the last 2 weekends and and after work to put up a sun sail , netting and fencing to protect my fish . I sometimes wonder at the time , effort and money I spend on keeping and protecting $3 to $10 fish . But once I bring them home I feel like their my responcabilty and when its all said and done the enjoyment I get from my pond and fish makes it all worth while .

Pond on my freinds .
Exactly..I felt like they had let them down by not protecting them! Went out of town this weekend and returned today and hoped I'd see one but they are in hiding. I think when we rebuild the pond and they go into a new "home" it will help. Nice thing is that when we rebuild we can incorporate the netting so it will all look like it belongs. I agree it is worth the effort because it's so nice to sit and watch them swim around. Thanks for the post!

Reaction score
addy1 said:
The heron is flying over low every night now, has not stopped yet. Going to get the pond net back up this weekend. I would not miss any fish if it snagged a few. Too many to count and keep track of, except for a few really different ones. But don't want to invite it to empty out the pond.
That will be nice when it's up and you can stop worrying about them. I only have eight so look forward to having more once the pond the much larger. Can't wait to get started!

Reaction score
gardengimp said:
That is the most wonderful news gardenlady! Do not be too worried if your fish keep to hiding for a long while. It has been several months since the great blue heron came for sushi and the remaining fish are still very skittish. And the dang bird was back again today. Your netting looks just like mine, and it works to keep the big birds out.
Thanks for that...we have been really bummed that they haven't come out and were wondering about it so you've made us understand and not fret about it.

Ask a Question