Either the Easter Bunny stopped by or I have ducks that lack parenting skills living in my pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
she was a great mom no matter what animal and she lived to the age of 20 years .Thats the reason I loved living on a small farm ,interesting things always happened .Not many dull moments growing up on an organic farm .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That story is so nice sissy! I would have loved that fuzzy cat and I always wanted to live on a farm when I was a kid but never got to. Don't want to now tho............learned how much hard work it is from friends who have them! I'll just visit them when I have the need to feel farmy,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
FARMY LOL straw hat ,farmer pants and straw blade in your mouth farmy and don't forget the cow poo on your work boots .That's a new one .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
lol sissy I have a friend up the road who has all of those farmy details available any time I would like to visit. She has every kind of animal on her farm..........eee I eee I oh! She's the one w/ the Bob Cat, snakes, lizards, etc. etc. etc.!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bag with my gloves in it hanging in the garage, the wrens choose that as their nest, we left the door open until they flew.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Funny how they will find a nest any where .I built more birdhouses this year again and went out to look and have to put up sign that says occupied .I guess I will go down and build more .I put 2 new ones out 4 days ago and they already have nesting stuff in them .So getting more new neighbor birds

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built 20 plus bird houses, have them everywhere. The birds are moving again, they love them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I can't put the birdy houses in our yard or the cats will be attracted to them :sad: I'll just enjoy them when they visit on a fly by into our trees. They do build nests in our trees and seem to do fine!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so get a ladder build some houses and put them high in the trees .If you fall we will be there to catch you in spirit ,not sure it will help

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha sissy I try not to attract the birds to the yards cuz the one big fat cat is too good at hunting them even w/ lots of bells on her collar. I don't put out seed anymore either. The birds still come tho and they take drinks and bathe in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just joined this thread, how interesting, Pecan, about the egg. Here's my take, though. The duck laid an unfertlized egg, was not ready to be on a "roll", so that one can be thrown away. If you don't get rid of it (take it to the edge of the woods far away, let some other animal have a nice snack) then it may break and be very stinky, as it's likely rotten.
As far as the ducks remaining in your garden, I suspect they have found another more secluded place to begin their nest. Look VERY carefully, as they will hide them well, with both feathers and downy feathers and grasses. They will not lay on them every night, or our ducks never did. They came to the nest, laid an egg a day, then when they had a full nest, or "clutch", then they laid on them. Our ducks would get off the nest to run to the pond, go for a swim, get a drink, them right back on the eggs. Had a mallard female once that laid 24 eggs, 2 layers of them! And she hatched each and every one of them.
Killdeer most often lay their eggs on the edge of the road, or in a driveway. If you have ever seen their eggs, you will know why. They are VERY camofloged in the rocks, cannot pick them out unless pointed out to you. They will also lay eggs in farm fields, but then they get them run over with farm equipment, as it's the same time that the fields are being planted and tilled. They are also the birds that once they start sitting on their clutch, they will run and act like they have a broken wing if threatened, to try to steer predators away from the nest. Baby killdeer look exactly like their parents when they are born, except for a shorter tail. ADORABLE!!! They run around really fast, too.
As with all birds, if they sat on their nests all the time after they laid one egg, and laid maybe 6-10 total, the first egg would hatch a day earlier than the 2nd, and the 2nd a day earlier than the 3rd, etc. So, that's why they don't start incubating them until they are done laying them. Our domestic ducks would lay eggs in the edge of the water before they were ready to be breeding. Not positive, but I don't think ducks have only one mate, but maybe wild ducks do. Our domestic ducks would have a hay day with the females. They were always outnumbered, and it was scary for my kids to watch, thinking the males were going to drown the females, as they took turns with her. LOL Poor girls. We soon learned how to tell the males from females and got rid of most of the males for the following year. :)
And, with wild ducks, you can tell which is male and female, as the males are prettier. But, with say the all white Pekin ducks, the male will have a tail feather at the base of his tail on top of his back that curls almost all the way around. :)
With the cow birds, my son hates them! I think that starlings do the same thing, laying their eggs in robin nests. Again, they sneak in before the female starts sitting, and not only lets the other bird incubate them, but also feed and raise them! It's quite funny seeing a larger black bird in a robin nest, but irritating that they have to raise the other babies.
As far as imprinting with the baby ducks, yes, if you are the first ones they see, they will think you are their Mommy and follow you everywhere! Be careful of that. LOL
OK, off my nature lesson. :)

Ask a Question