Electrical Problems

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have moved it to a house which has a pond but when I switch the socket on for the filter and pump after a few mins it trips the whole of the sockets in the house.

I have read this could be a problem with the filter being blocked, although I have given the filter and the pump a clean but this did not help.

I have had a look at the cables I can see and none seemed damaged but they do go behind the plants and rocks at the side and dont really want to disturb them all if I don't have to.

If anyone has any ideas or advice it would be much apprieciated.

Thanks in advance Chris

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Well, you are going to have to disturb them, I would pull the whole thing out and check every inch of cord.

Your terms kind of confuse me, you switched ont he "socket" for the pump? is it direct wired into a switch? or can you unplug it and try a different outlet somehwere else?

That would be my first plan of action, check cord, if it looks okay, plug it into another outlet, see if that one blows also. then that will determine whether it is the pump, or the outet giving yoou problems.

Reaction score
Well, you are going to have to disturb them, I would pull the whole thing out and check every inch of cord.

Your terms kind of confuse me, you switched ont he "socket" for the pump? is it direct wired into a switch? or can you unplug it and try a different outlet somehwere else?

That would be my first plan of action, check cord, if it looks okay, plug it into another outlet, see if that one blows also. then that will determine whether it is the pump, or the outet giving yoou problems.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I do have a switch at the side of the pond and this has a cable going in the house which is plugged in to a socket , I have a security light plugged into the same socket and have no problems with that so dont think that is the problem, i will check the cord and try another socket, will be sunday now as away tomorrow but i will report back with any findings, once again thanks for the reply.

Chris

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could your hoses be plugged or you may have a short in your pump .If your hose are plugged it will make your pump run hotter which will trip the breakers .

Reaction score
I have read this could be a problem with the filter being blocked
Are they/you talking about the pump's pre filter?

What country is Chesterfield located?

What "trips"? Can you provide a picture of the device? Also pictures of the switch, socket and electric panel would help.

The cord wouldn't be my first guess. Possible of course, but I like to start with checking easy stuff first and move to ripping up stuff only if needed.

For what it's worth here's the procedure I follow when I hear what you described.

1. Testing the GFI is easiest so I plug in a high draw device like a vacuum cleaner to see if that trips the device. If it does I replace the GFI.

2. Replace the pump. Obviously when removing the current pump if there is something obvious, like clogged prop, I try that fix. I don't generally test much on the pump because it's not cost effective. If you like to tinker you might be able to take some of the pump apart and clean. Some pumps allow for replacing the prop shaft and prop. I've never seen any visible damage to a shaft or prop but replacing them can fix the problem. Kind of a long shot imo. These things have tight tolerances.

3. After that it gets serious and actual testing has to be done. Very rare it goes that far. For example, right after it trips, and you're sure the power is off BECAUSE YOU USED A VOLTAGE TESTER, you can touch wires inside each box (switch, outlet) to see if they're hot. A poor connection can do this. If this sounds dangerous, like it could end your life, then good, because it's true.

If you do replace the pump and the cord was buried I have a suggestion. I like to bury 1.5" or larger PVC (conduit or water pipe, doesn't matter in this case). That allows me to push the pump cord thru the pipe and you don't have to tear stuff up next time.

rdk

Reaction score
Should all exposed electric cords from water pumps be run through pc pipe for protection or is it all right to leave the cords exposed? RDK

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
better to protect power cords if you have an old hose just slit it and tuck the power cord inside .It at least protects the cord some what .Better than just exposed and you don't need an electrical hazard like that one wrong step and it could get damaged

Reaction score
The PVC thing isn't to protect the cord, although it does help when digging. It's just so you can remove and add pumps without having to dig up the ground. Because of looks I like the outlet to be as far away from the pond as I can.

Pump cords can be exposed or buried I believe, at least based on their intended use. I assume UL would test both cases. However tripping hazards aren't allowed by code. For example while conduit can be exposed it has to either be buried or against the side of building. You couldn't run it along the ground. Tripping over a cord can put a person in the hospital just as fast as being shocked.

rdk

Reaction score
No body can trip over the cord in the location that I have it, My main concern is an animal bitting on the cord or the cord rotting. Does this happen?
Let me know and thank you. RDK

Reaction score
I just had a puppy chew up Bougainvillea bush, 1" needle like thorns. So who knows what an animal will do. It doesn't seem to be common.

UV attacks pretty much everything including plastic. But pump cords seem to hold up OK. It doesn't really rot.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a mole or something chew through a cord so thats why the hose covering .I also had on one of my LED light cords damaged when the lawnmower with a cart full of rocks ran over it and tore it up .my fault, I knew the power cord was there but did not think about the heavy rocks in the lawn cart .better safe than sorry

Ask a Question