EMERGENCY! SHADE NEEDED!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This has been a beautiful, temperate summer for us. Normally July finds us seeking cool shelter in the house, the movie theater, the mall, on the lake. Anywhere but the yard. Yesterday I mowed and trimmed the yard at 3:00 in the afternoon and enjoyed every minute in the sun. Normally I would be posting this to you from my grave after that kind of exertion at that time of day. We are enjoying every minute - we paid for this with our visit from our friend the Polar Vortex the last two winters!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, now, if you want you can go to this thread

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...nyone-or-why-ponds-need-shade-in-dixie.17546/

where I've told the story that lead up to the need for emergency shade.

@tbendl As with anything, yes I could be wrong, but even if I am, these are measures that won't hurt anything. But the water is testing perfect and there are no signs of illness or injury in the pond. Plus, they were doing the top-sitting, lethargic thing by evening when the temp had peaked, so I strongly suspect heat and low O2 levels. We'll see.......

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have always had to provide shade for my pond every summer .So when they had the shade cloth on clearance at sams club last year I bought more of it .It makes great shade cover also when the sun is setting on our front porch .I sewed pockets in the bottom and put a pipe through it and those pipe clamps at the bottom .i only put it where we sit

Ask a Question