Evaporation!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ha! good point about testing for leak at night instead of the day time when evaporation could be a factor too. I'm going to try when we have another dry days. Right now the pond is so full from storm last night and very muddy from the run off. I'm about to just do large water change.... thinking about it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ha! good point about testing for leak at night instead of the day time when evaporation could be a factor too. I'm going to try when we have another dry days. Right now the pond is so full from storm last night and very muddy from the run off. I'm about to just do large water change.... thinking about it.
I thought the part about the heat of the rocks was interesting! I'll often look at the pond and think it's losing water -- there will be a distinct "water line" on the rocks, that is most probably due to movement of the water. But I have a certain set of rocks that I use as a reference point for water depth, and as long as the water hits that mark there, I'm OK. I really never thought about how the rocks would contribute, but it does make sense!

These are NOT my reference rocks, but you can see where the water was yesterday (torrential rains!). I think that only the rocks and plants kept the fish safely inside the pond (I've since added more rocks to this big bare spot in the first pic).
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
TM, Lisak mentioned that water that gets splashed on the rocks got evaporate quickly, that's how I think mine was from my bog full of hot gravel (no plants) exposed in full sun (when I did the test) I know it's a lot of water so I think I also might have a slow leak somewhere in the liner too, both add up to the total water lose.

But doing the experiment at night will (mostly) eliminate the evaporation, so if i still have water lose then, i'll know for sure i have a slow leak.

still cant do it now though... rain rain rain..

Ask a Question