Evaporation!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just really finished the pond and our back yard (with patio and pergola) this weekend... still lots of plants to plant and places to fill but that's an on going work.

We are having heat wave here and the heat index was 120 degree yesterday. They are forecasting 100 degree tomorrow!!!!

Anyway, my pond water has been lower every day. I kept adding more water each day. I lost about 2 inches of water a day (3 days now like that). I cant keep adding more water like this. I used to have pond in a total shade, now it's a pond in a full sun. Is this normal?

My pond is about 2300 gallon plus a bog 700 gallon and a stream at (approx) 500 gallon.

The pond is about 15x12, bog is 9x10 and stream is 30x2 (or 3 at some part). I guess the water loss is inevitable but I just want to know if this is normal or I should be looking for a leak?

Thanks.
~A

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmmmmm, two inches per day, seems like a lot to me. I'll let others chime in. Can't wait to see pics of your new pond!

Reaction score
2 inches does seem like alot, especially for such a large pond. Are you sure you dont have a small leak? Or some really thirsty dogs?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I walked around and dont see any wet ground (and I would be able to tell since we have been scorched the ground is so dry).

I'm really hope it's not a leak... but it could very well be.

I actually know I have one pipe connection that is leaking but it leaks back to the pond (see the water dropping back to the pond). and with the rate that it's dropping I dont think it's that much.

:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Last time my water level started dropping by 2" a day, I found a leak in my stream. At most, I get 1/2" drop in a day... Of course, we don't get as hot as you get...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks betta! Thanks from my husband I got 50*20 liner to play with ;) I wont have too many fish :) I want to know all of my fish lol. I'll try my best to take it SLOWWWW.

this saturday was my son's b-day party. we had about 10 kids (5 yo) running in the stream and the bog. I padded the stream with sand but it wasnt too thick... Do you think little kids can puncher 60mm EPDM liner?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Last time my water level started dropping by 2" a day, I found a leak in my stream. At most, I get 1/2" drop in a day... Of course, we don't get as hot as you get...
how did you find leak in your stream?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
how did you find leak in your stream?

Mine was leaking over the side due to plant growth in the stream. There weren't any wet areas around it, but once I lifted up a rock, I saw where the water was escaping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I hope mine's as easy to find (y) fingers cross.

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but sounds like we have a similar sized pond and I live in a hot climate and I have very little evaporation. Probably over a month mine might drop 2 inches. Maybe. But def not over night.

I doubt they punctured it, but having 4 and 6 yo kids myself, I can almost guarantee they moved something or did something. LOL.

Good luck! Hope you find it soon. At least its not too bad.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That sure does sound more like a leak. And I would think your risk of evaporation would be greater if you lived in a dryer climate. We have temps and humidity similar to yours (though nothing that high so far) and even at the hottest, I don't lose much water. My pond and turtle bog are roughly the same size as yours.

(Trying to eliminate "leak" for you...)..... Has is been especially windy? Windy conditions cause more evaporation. Is there excess water splashing anywhere?

And yes, kids could have contributed, though 60 mil liner should be pretty tough! But you never know what curious little kiddos are capable of. My son once, at about that age, poked a hole in our exercise ball -- he wanted to see what would happen...... He found out, too!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
EDITED

[Before beginning the following process I strongly suggest you inspect each and every piping/tubing for punctures along with every connection. Repair/replace as necessary. Believe it or not, several little dripping leaks can add up to a significant amount of water.

Also, coinciding with the below process, if possible, use left over liner to line any water proof container (the larger the better) then fill that lined container with water. Position the filled container next to the pond. At the same time you inspect the ponds water level check the containers water level. This test should reveal an approximate amount of evaporation. If excess liner is not available still conduct this test using a non lined container. I'm an anal person so if liner is not available and you are using, say, a 5 gallon bucket, spray paint the buckets inside black. Why my emphasis on black? Because as we all know black absorbs heat and may increase water evaporation.]

Since you do not yet have fish I suggest -
  • Turn off your pump(s)
  • Get the pond to maximum water level
  • Allow 24 hours
  • Check for and measure any water loss
  • Mark water level on liner
  • Refill to maximum
  • Allow 24 hours
  • Check for and measure any water loss
  • Mark water level on liner
  • Repeat process one or more additional days if multiple levels result from above process or if wanted to rule out weather as a factor.
  • If no or minimal water loss then you can assume the primary pond does not leak.
  1. If pond water loss is still substantial then you can assume your pond has a leak. The marked water level indicates inspection line. Get in your pond then painstakingly examine the liner at and directly above marked water level all around the pond. If puncture is located the ask this forum for best puncture repair process.
  2. If pond does not indicate a substantial water loss then turn your inspection to the stream and if applicable, to the bog.

Last edited:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I doubt they punctured it, but having 4 and 6 yo kids myself, I can almost guarantee they moved something or did something. LOL.

Good luck! Hope you find it soon. At least its not too bad.[/QUOTE]

I think the the kids could have shifted a side of the stream too

Ask a Question