Ever see a 4 foot Asparagus Fern?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
This beautiful 4' giant is going in the back left corner of our pond bank.
025.JPG

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Sadly, I ascertained it was far too big for to handle plus. The pot it was in was too small so if I kept it in a pot it would be a major chore because of its bulk to transfer to a 20" to 22" pot and add additional potting mix. To plant the massive beauty would have also been a big issue since the area I selected would to be dug out, better soil/compost mixture put in then mounded. My great all around handy man could have easily accomplished the tasks but the bill for extra materials and labor would have us spending about $110 for this fern. Fern - $40, Material - $30, Labor - $40 (2 hours). That's too much for a fern that either must be repotted and brought into the garage for the winter or allowed to die back and not know how much would grow back. The nursery was not happy with me but better I bailed out now than the alternative. I must admit, it's beauty overwhelmed my sensibilities. Was an impulse buy. Those can get anyone in a spot. I sometimes feel ashamed that I am not physically able to do the work I could do years ago. Not to worry all will work out. :rolleyes:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Don't feel ashamed Lou, be proud that you're smart enough not to send yourself to the hospital over something as minor as a plant. Good for you for making a solid decision based on reality!

Reaction score
I have a twin fern to that one. Its been in a too small pot for ...... about 4 years. A friend gave it to me when she was leaving the island, I put it in a huge pot (no clue why) and it went mad, its huge! Its going to have to stay in that pot because its really got sharp leaves so I'm not messing with it.

Ask a Question