Ever Seen a Royal Blue Koi?

Reaction score
i bet you are right. That pond has been in existence for thousands of years..,, I'm sure it was just born directly in the pond. As I said, it's the second oldest castle in japan.

Koi, as you must remember, are an abberation of color. The original carp were nothing more than a boring brown/tan color. As these "colored" version arose initlally, which were essentially considered weaker (tho fancier versions), they were interbred to create what we know know as koi.

Our koi as we know them today are truly genetic freaks from that original carp. And those genetic mishaps were bred by the Japanese to see what would happen.

Koi genetics are truly fascinating,

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Actually, 2000 years ago, the original Koi were all black. Here is the Koi tree. Some of the original offspring were blue as seen in this tree.

Attachments

• Koi Tree.jpg
    Koi Tree.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 456
Reaction score
but the doc is right in that they then took the blue abberations, and likely bred blue ones with blue ones and eventually you might end up with a crazy royal blue like the one photographed.

Koi genetics are always fascinating!

Reaction score
Oldhead, I love you. But though your fish is lovely, it ain't anything like the magificent creature in the photo. It's like saying I looke like Cindy Crawford (in her heyday). LOL! Needless, to say, I don't. LOL!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It just don't quite look the same Old head
but it could be the lighting :D
its still i nice fish

Reaction score
Lol nope its not even close to that beautiful fish at the front of the post. Mine is light blue and there is no scale definition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you guys and gals believe that I have a bridge I would like to sell you.:banana::banana::D

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DoDad said:
If you guys and gals believe that I have a bridge I would like to sell you.:):banana::D

So lets be clear on this, Dodad. are you saying this video is altered to look like a blue featured Koi?

Ask a Question