Ever Seen a Royal Blue Koi?

Reaction score
Check out this koi at Maruoka Castle in Japan. I've never seen anything like it...jewel blue with burgundy red scales in between. Absolutely stunning! I can only imagine what something like this would be worth if it were on the market.

Click here to see it. Maruoka Castle is the second oldest castle in Japan and is famous for its koi ponds.

This creature is just stunning!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That would be a great addition to any ones pond...
I saw that koi somewhere before.

Reaction score
i mean, if I could only have one fish for ever and ever, I don't think I'd ever get tired of looking at that magnificent fish. Blue is just such an odd color in nature...particularly THAT blue.

Reaction score
Ummm, didn't we have this debate about 6 months ago? Someone found out that it is really a grey koi with the picture tinted blue. There is a blue tinge around the rocks that is a giveaway.
Too bad because it would be very unusual.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Those red spots are real. If grey was tinted to blue, those would be purple. I think it is is a genuine blue koi.

It is in a garden you can go see, I can't imagine them photoshopping a koi they advertise to get people to come there.

charrold

Big Fish in a Little Pond
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I have a blue and black Koi - he is more black, but the blue is very deep and sparkles nicely in the sun. I will try and nab a picture of him if he lets me. I had another that had some amazing blue scales mixed with orange and white, but he died young.

charrold

Big Fish in a Little Pond
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Doesn't look good for a picture for the next couple weeks - it snowed here today and the pond dropped from 60 to 50 in under 24 hours. All the fishes are cuddled up in the bottom under the hidy-ledge I built for them to avoid 'Coons and birds and as such are not taking interviews right now :biggrin:

I'll get one of him and the Blue Flecked little brother when Indian Summer hits in a couple weeks and the water warms for the last time.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Wow, you must be West of the Coors Brewery, I don't think 6500 feet exists east of there.
I still have a sign I stole in 1981 from a stream next to the brewery that said the water was contaminated. LOL

Ask a Question