addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the q-see system to me well worth it. I mainly watch the critters in the yard and the pond. We are real rural, don't worry too much about people.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We have security cameras that are hooked up to our computer and keep the recordings for a period of one week.
We find it very useful in case we see signs of someone being in the yard while we are away.
We also have cameras that we can watch a live stream remotely via our iphones.
It gives us a great peace of mind.
As far as cost, maybe allow a couple hundred dollars for each camera, and a couple hundred dollars for computer software. We use Macintosh computers for recording.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a camera inside that I can watch from my phone or computer while we are away but not outside (we like to check on the dogs while we are gone)

Would love to have one outside for the pond area. But not sure what to get. Will be watching to see what others say.

Reaction score
I've had several types of security cameras over the years, in our last home and in our present house.
I currently have a 8 channel DVR (digital Video Recording) Surveillance system. The 8 channels allows me to hook up 8 cameras in different areas around the house. Like some of the others mentioned it connects to the internet and allows you to view your cameras live or review video clips that the motion detection feature captured. The internet connection is great if you are away from home much. Our family was in another country for a couple months last winter, yet I was able to check my house just about every day and could tell if anybody had been there, when, and for how long. I even averted a possible problem when I noticed the snow piling up and starting to cover my outdoor heat pump unit, so I emailed a couple friends in the neighborhood and they quickly took care of the problem for me. I even watched them shoveling the snow.
Video clips are recorded to a 500 GB hard drive that holds about 3-6 months of videos. Videos are recorded anytime the cameras see something moving within their field of view. People, cat, spiders, tree branches moving in the wind, even cloud shadows can sometimes set off the motion detect so it starts recording. So you can sometimes get a lot of recorded video clips. You can adjust the sensitivity of the motion detection and make it less sensitive, but I like to keep mine fairy sensitive to make sure I catch everything.The only problem with having to many videos might be it will fill up your hard drive faster, but when that happens it just starts writing over the oldest videos. Videos are recorded by camera channel and time, so it's easy to find and review a specific video event if you have some idea what you are looking for.

What do you plan to use yours for Lou?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I like the idea of knowing who's been around the house. I just have an in expensive 'game' cam. It get's just about everybody that comes to the door, The night shots could be better. $35. 4g sd card will take over 2 thousand pics. They make much better ones, I'd like to get one with better res. Here's some samples.

Attachments

• STC_0021.JPG
    STC_0021.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 265
  • STC_0346.JPG
    STC_0346.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 230
  • STC_0972.JPG
    STC_0972.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 242
  • STC_0443.JPG
    STC_0443.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 233
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I like the idea of knowing who's been around the house. I just have an in expensive 'game' cam. It get's just about everybody that comes to the door, The night shots could be better. $35. 4g sd card will take over 2 thousand pics. They make much better ones, I'd like to get one with better res. Here's some samples.

I take it that last photo is someone you know! :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have ones I got on ebay less than 100 dollars for 4 of them and love them so much i bought another set .I could have bought the 8 camera set but wanted it set different 2 cameras are on the pond .It also came with cloud storage .I did do a you tube there are actually 2 videos'video
my own camera shooting the video is not the greatest and is an older camera

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have not looked back and said i wasted my money and that is why i bought another set and actually bought the mike for by my pond .I like that fact that i can see what is going on at home when I am away .Son just told me also that I can get the new switches for my pond that I have indoors that I can turn off remotely .So I am looking at them now

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have it changed a little now I have both pond cameras on the monitor with the driveway and by the basement and those are the most important to me .Nice discount from my insurance company also .Gotta like that .I want to be safe and I think we all feel that way these days .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
our insurance company, no discount unless it is monitored by a company 24/7

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My sister got a set the same kind and I installed them for her and state farm told her the same no discount .But Brethern mutual out of Maryland gives one as long as you prove to them you have them .She called them for a quote on insurance

Reaction score
Seems like Lou lost interest in his own thread, but just for fun I thought I'd post some videos I downloaded from my security system last winter (while I was on the other side of the planet) and uploaded to youtube.

This first one was the main one I was worried about because another snow fall could have completely cover the heat pump heat exchanger and caused some damage.

Ask a Question