fall and winter prep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thuis will be my first winter for our new 22ftx11ft and 3 ft deep pond. We have lots of fish and the ecosystem has just done super this summer. I have been doing a lot of reading and contrary to what I thought I have read that you should not keep your pump running all winter. I live in zone5-6. What I have been reding is that it is better and cheaper to run an aerator during the winter. Is this what you all recommend? If so what type and size do i get. Where in the pond do I place it? Also does anyone recommend putting salt in the water? Will you have to do a complete water change in the spring? Has anyone tried to keep tropicals alive in doors or is it best to throw them out. How about deep water oxygenators. Will they survive and should they be left in the pond over winter for removed? Thanks ahead of time as I know I have asked a lot of questions.

Reaction score
Hi, I can't help with your questions regarding fall/winter, as I live in a tropical climate.

What tropical fish do you have in your pond? We do not recommend throwing out any fish.

What type of fish do you have in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
replies inline, below...

Thuis will be my first winter for our new 22ftx11ft and 3 ft deep pond. We have lots of fish and the ecosystem has just done super this summer. I have been doing a lot of reading and contrary to what I thought I have read that you should not keep your pump running all winter. I live in zone5-6. What I have been reding is that it is better and cheaper to run an aerator during the winter. Is this what you all recommend?

>>>this is what I do; it helps alleviate any built up of toxic gasses from decaying organic matter in the pond.

If so what type and size do i get.

>>>I used an aquarium pump, something in the 100 gal recommendation, though it really depends on how much turbulence you want at the surface. That is, there have been a couple of times my hole froze over because I did not have enough supplied air to combat the cold. I live in zone 5. I don't worry about the pond freezing over unless it's been that way for a couple of weeks. In that case, I have--installed and waiting--a trough heater to melt a hole, situated over my airstone. These heaters will only operate between specified temp ranges so the heater, once the hole is open and the temp warms, will turn off and not stay continuously on. I only use it as an emergency. Most of the time, the air turbulence is enough.

Where in the pond do I place it?

>>>I've researched and found it's best to place it near the surface so as not to mix super chilled winter air into your pond. Though you need a fairly deep pond for proper stratification--and yours is not deep enough--the warmer water WILL still be at the bottom and the colder at the top. All you're trying to do with maintaining an open hole is allowing the gasses to escape. Though often repeated, adding oxygen this way doesn't help the fish much; it's more for the turbulence. So saying, you can also do this using a water pump aimed upward, but I feel the air pump is both less expensive to run as well as less expensive to purchase.

Also does anyone recommend putting salt in the water?

>>>I haven't done any salt to date, though won't negate the idea. I believe some benefit occurs re fish parasites/diseases but haven't done so for any overwintering agenda.

Will you have to do a complete water change in the spring?

>>>I haven't yet in 3 years. I add enough water through evaporation and rain during the summer that the water quality seems to be behaving itself nicely. I'm trying for as 'natural' as I can get. There's a large thriving pond at the end of my street and I've yet to see anyone siphon out the water and replace it each spring. And it's been over 30 years now.

Has anyone tried to keep tropicals alive in doors or is it best to throw them out.

>>>I've had some luck and some not. Sort of depends on the tropical and how much time/money/effort you want to invest. Parrots Feather seems to be easy under fluoro lites, the Taro has struggled but survived, the clover has been a bust (though I intend to try again) and I've barely kept my bacopa alive. The dwarf Egyptian Papyrus plant made it, but didn't thrive exactly. The sensitive plant got eaten by snails (I think) and such as Water Lettuce and Hyacinths are a headache to overwinter, plus cheap to replace next spring. That's my experience with overwintering some of my pond plants so far.

How about deep water oxygenators. Will they survive and should they be left in the pond over winter for removed?

>>>Those sections that are within the range at the top where ice forms will die off there but anything lower, usually survives. Best to trim these back to about a foot or so BENEATH the surface of your pond. Helps keep more organic matter from decaying. You should lower any lilies beneath this ice layer as well, trimming the pads, once again for eliminating excess organics from the decay cycle.

Thanks ahead of time as I know I have asked a lot of questions.

Hope some of this helps.

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
At 3ft your pushing it if you get hard winters ponds should be a minimum of 4.5ft - 5ft in depth if your keeping koi .
We dont switch of our pumps nor airstones and leave everything running throughout the winter months our winters can get as low as -15c for short periods here in Plymouth UK .
We had the forethought to add 22mm insulation and bubble wrap plus recycled platic loft insulation arounf our pond and also insulted the filter housing with 22mm insulation and cover the pond in policarbonate roofing sheets which is alo used as a roof for the filter housing , the net result is we never get lower than 7c throughout the winter months

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I keep an eye on the weather and shut down my pumps when it's consistently cold - usually Nov. one year made it into Dec. I keep my pumps in my skimmer, just not running.

I discard all but my lilies, but have been giving thought to trying to keep parrots feather under light.....but just as easy to start fresh next spring.

I run an aerator and de -icer. Last year I placed my air stones about mid way into the water and my pond is between 33.5 -4 ft in the very deepest section.

I also clean my pond of debris and net it. I'm currently researching nets, as I've a cedar tree over my pond that drops fine debris. I'm considering a fine mesh net, but am wondering if that presents problems with sunlight not penetrating into the pond.

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio...think I'm in a similar zone as you.....might be a 6 though. hard to keep track as they've changed the zones and I'm always on the border of a zone.

Glad you had a great summer with your pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Tula my parrots feather survived this last winter in the pond. I didn't have a lot so I added a bit more this summer (just floating in the water) I'm hoping it will be the same this winter.

@crazyforponds I had purched an airpump for my pond and it burned out in a very short time (a few months maybe) so I just used an aquarium airpump I had in my box of extra stuff. I put it in a rubbermaid bin that my husband drilled holes in the side (for the cord and tubing to pass through as well as air circulation) I put a piece of thick foam inside to help insulate the box and help protect the pump. Put the lid on and put a few bricks on top to keep it from being blown away by the wind. It's still running strong.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Temps are pretty mild here so I just keep my bubbling water tube going and a small air pump. I do leave my pump to the waterfall running also but don't think you can do that where you are, just too cold and freezing. Some here use a stock tank heater to keep a hole in the ice when freezing is on the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Tula my parrots feather survived this last winter in the pond. I didn't have a lot so I added a bit more this summer (just floating in the water) I'm hoping it will be the same this winter.

Nice to know about the parrots feather! Mine is in floating baskets, to keep my koi from destroying it, so I'll have to tuck some bits and pieces in crevices. I also wonder if I put some in a vase, if it would live in a sunny window? This was my first year with it and absolutely love it:)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in the south, zone 8. It gets cold [sometimes] but never freezes here. I leave my main pump going [but I turn off anything attached to a spitter]. I started using an aerator in the pond last summer, and normally the air stones sit on the bottom. But as it gets colder, I use zip-ties and pieces of pool noodle to float the air stones where they are just a few inches under the water surface. That way you have air movement at the surface which is where the oxygenation will come from, but you don't have the stratification of the deeper, warmer water being moved & mixed with the colder, surface water.

I can't say what kind of aerator is best, or where the best place is in the pond to place the air stones [for winter]. Just be aware that aerators are not weather-friendly, so they have to be covered [or under cover] and protected from the elements.

As far as prep & cleaning, I do a good bottom sweep to get as much of the leaves & accumulate muck of the bottom early in the fall [keeping a net over the pond helps keep more leaves out]. Water changes aren't necessary in the spring, other than the regular maintenance changes. I've heard of people doing complete water changes and scrubbing the liner every spring, but that's not recommended.

Tropical plants won't survive, but as far as what will survive indoors, I can't say -- that probably depends on your personal "green thumb," which plants you are talking about, and how much time & energy you are willing to invest in keeping them alive. Oxygenators will generally sink to the bottom when it gets cold, and stay there until the water warms up. If any didn't survive the winter, you can remove them in the spring.

Hope this helps!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my parrots feather survived this last winter in the pond

I have a small pool of water (10 inches deep) in my stream, at one of the turns, that little collection freezes solid (we hit -15 this winter) the parrots feather looks like dried up twigs and it comes back just great every year. So don't toss that dead looking stuff it will surprise you.

Ask a Question