Feeding Goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi all,
I apologize if this information is already on the forum, but I didn’t find a similar thread. I like to feed a sinking pellet and my fish have done very well on Omega One. Now that they’re bigger and I’m also fertilizing more plants with their water, I need to increase the amount I feed, and so am looking for a more economical option. Any suggestions for other sinking pellets?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Many members here simply feed their fish sparsely ( or none at all ), which really only works in a larger pond, but has made me spend $0 on fish food in the last year! Because you have a smaller pond it really depends on the amount of fish you have if you can do something like that. ( or if you even want to )

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all,
I apologize if this information is already on the forum, but I didn’t find a similar thread. I like to feed a sinking pellet and my fish have done very well on Omega One. Now that they’re bigger and I’m also fertilizing more plants with their water, I need to increase the amount I feed, and so am looking for a more economical option. Any suggestions for other sinking pellets?
What kind of set-up are you using? Do you have a bog, or do you have a hydroponics set-up? Pics would help. And, what kind of fish do you have?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Be careful as too much feeding can cause a spike in the nitrogen in your water which could cause your water to go bad and hurt the fish. Less feeding the better IMO. I only feed my goldfish every once in awhile and they can survive quite well w/o all that excess food. Better to use some other form of fertilizer for your plants if you need more than your pond can provide. What kind of filter set up do you have? How often do you have to clean the filter? Do you have algae and is the water clear? I have used Blackwater pond pellets of different varieties for my fish when I do feed and use Tetra Pond Spring & Fall Wheatgerm food sticks as the water starts to cool. No feeding after water temps go down below 50. I did find my fish love to snack on watermelon just for a treat in Summer. Mostly they eat the bugs, worms etc. that fall into the pond and algae that grows on the sides of the pond. Some Duckweed added once in awhile too. They love that stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It’s a 300 gal. goldfish pond with two eight square foot grow beds, so not a complete ecosystem like your large ponds/bogs. I test water parameters weekly.

374450F5-9B28-41C1-9C25-7F8D00D00E44.jpeg 2AA03A28-8DCF-4BE8-AB19-94DB80F59061.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Be careful as too much feeding can cause a spike in the nitrogen in your water which could cause your water to go bad and hurt the fish. Less feeding the better IMO. I only feed my goldfish every once in awhile and they can survive quite well w/o all that excess food. Better to use some other form of fertilizer for your plants if you need more than your pond can provide. What kind of filter set up do you have? How often do you have to clean the filter? Do you have algae and is the water clear? I have used Blackwater pond pellets of different varieties for my fish when I do feed and use Tetra Pond Spring & Fall Wheatgerm food sticks as the water starts to cool. No feeding after water temps go down below 50. I did find my fish love to snack on watermelon just for a treat in Summer. Mostly they eat the bugs, worms etc. that fall into the pond and algae that grows on the sides of the pond. Some Duckweed added once in awhile too. They love that stuff!
Does Blackwater make a sinking pellet?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mgessert When you say you use the water for your plants…..do you mean you remove water directly from the pond? And I assume, then you add water to replace that? As @j.w said, be careful about trying to up the food or you are in danger of having water quality issues. Maybe just use plain water for your plants, but supplement them with plant foods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Mgessert When you say you use the water for your plants…..do you mean you remove water directly from the pond? And I assume, then you add water to replace that? As @j.w said, be careful about trying to up the food or you are in danger of having water quality issues. Maybe just use plain water for your plants, but supplement them with plant foods.
The water circulates through the grow beds, which act as a filter, then returns to the pond.

Ask a Question