Feeding

Reaction score
So, just lack bio filtration is the culprit of the break down in food ie why the importance of knowing how much food you put in to have the same reaction. Correct?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking but to me I like to give my fish enough food to grow. They can do that on 1 to 2 % of their body weight worth of food per day. I spread this out in 2 or 3 feedings based on what I have going on that day. I have enough filtration and plants to keep ammonia and nitrite zero almost all the time (had a bit of a cycle bump once this year when I cleaned the filters too thoroughly) and nitrate is always below 20 with the water changes I do. A person who does not have adequate filtration could try to keep ammonia and nitrite 0 by feeding less, sure, but the fish growth rate won't be there. And that is fine for some people.

Reaction score
You can just say once a day or twice a day etc. You could throw in a pound or on ounce each time so it's not an accurate measurement.
It actually is about this statement...
If you want the same reaction via nitrogen cycle, you mimic the the same input. Just tossing it in and saying ' oh lack of biofiltration' sounds sloppy. Biofiltration only can get you so far and that area becomes saturated. I believe it's called old pond syndrome.

Reaction score
It actually is about this statement...
If you want the same reaction via nitrogen cycle, you mimic the the same input. Just tossing it in and saying ' oh lack of biofiltration' sounds sloppy. Biofiltration only can get you so far and that area becomes saturated. I believe it's called old pond syndrome.
Sorry I still have no idea what you're getting at.

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the input on feeding. Just wanted to get an idea of the thoughts out there. I am not concerned about the speed of growth, I just want to be sure the fish have enough food, without overfeeding. I thought there should be natural foods that occur as the pond matures that might substitute feedings.

Also, enjoy the quasi-discussion on the nitrogen cycle.

Reaction score
I am actually smiling that you are enjoying it!! I needed a laugh tonight!!! My pond is new this late summer and I feed my fish 2 or 3 times a week. They graze constantly but I am concerned about what they will eat coming out of hibernation as it is new. :( I may be an over concerned mom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am actually smiling that you are enjoying it!! I needed a laugh tonight!!! My pond is new this late summer and I feed my fish 2 or 3 times a week. They graze constantly but I am concerned about what they will eat coming out of hibernation as it is new. :( I may be an over concerned mom.

We were amazed to find algae growing in our pond as soon as the ice melted this spring. Lots of green carpet algae that clearly enjoyed the cold water. The fish were feeding on it long before we were able to start feeding them. As soon as the water warmed up all of that particular algae was gone. Pretty cool!

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
All pond/fish conversation is good! That's how we learn.

As far as your concern about them eating is concerned, I have recently read, that it is wrong to think your fish are going hungry during the winter months. Something in there metabolism changes and they are actually unable to process(digest) food. So trying to feed them can be hazardous to there health as food may rot in their stomachs/digestive path. After water temps reach 45-55 degrees, it is ok to feed a 1-3 pellets per koi allowing 10 to 15 minutes for feeding.

This is what I have read from a local fish keepers pamphlet. I don't profess it to be fact. I believe in researching many avenues and getting many opinions which is why I started this thread. I want to know what is or isn't working for the people who have been keeping ponds.

Reaction score
We were amazed to find algae growing in our pond as soon as the ice melted this spring. Lots of green carpet algae that clearly enjoyed the cold water. The fish were feeding on it long before we were able to start feeding them. As soon as the water warmed up all of that particular algae was gone. Pretty cool!
Ah another miracle of science to help us out in life!! Thanks I can sleep better now, my fish will have food and my rocks will clear up ;)

Reaction score
All pond/fish conversation is good! That's how we learn.

As far as your concern about them eating is concerned, I have recently read, that it is wrong to think your fish are going hungry during the winter months. Something in there metabolism changes and they are actually unable to process(digest) food. So trying to feed them can be hazardous to there health as food may rot in their stomachs/digestive path. After water temps reach 45-55 degrees, it is ok to feed a 1-3 pellets per koi allowing 10 to 15 minutes for feeding.

This is what I have read from a local fish keepers pamphlet. I don't profess it to be fact. I believe in researching many avenues and getting many opinions which is why I started this thread. I want to know what is or isn't working for the people who have been keeping ponds.
Good thing you clearly stated your profession, ya can get tared and feather for thinking you know it all, if ya know what I mean ;)

Ask a Question