Feeding

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am betting this is a common topic, but I couldn't find it!

I am wondering how much/often do you feed your fish(in warm weather)?

I have always had aquariums and fed once daily. Twice daily leads to water quality issues, IME. I am told to feed twice daily while the temps are 60 to 86 degrees. My thought is, once daily should be plenty.

I would like to know your opinion! Thanks!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
In warm weather, I feed 2-3x a day, about 1/2 thimbleful each time. I have about twenty 6" and under fish, 3 biofilters and a moderate amount of plants in my pond.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
No algae issues? Cloudy water? Nitrites, ammonia, etc?
No algae issues.
*There was some inch long algae lining the sides of the liner early in the season but it went away by itself.
*When I upped the feeding during the Summer, there was a little string algae in the pond but I left it there to soak up any extra nutrients.
*There's been some algae on my sand filter where it's exposed to bright sunlight. That I hosed off.

I consider algae to be a natural part of the pond and pond life and removing algae is an easy way to remove organic matter from the pond.

No cloudy water. I only tested my water a couple of times during the season and nitrites and ammonia were zero. I added extra media to my biofilters this season and I'll probably tinker with them a little next season.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feed at the most once a day, maybe 2-3 times a week, sometimes not at all. The fish do fine with natural food in the pond. Feeding less helps keep the amount of surviving eggs down which equals less population.

Reaction score
You can just say once a day or twice a day etc. You could throw in a pound or on ounce each time so it's not an accurate measurement. You should be feeding 1 to 2% of the combined fish's body weight per day assuming we are talking about goldfish. More towards 2% when it is hotter because their metabolisms are running faster. More towards 1% when it is cooler as they are slowing down. Oh and keep in mind some people will say they only feed once a week and some people will say never so really, do whatever you want as long as you can keep ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate under control. Also, you would be better off doing multiple small feedings per day opposed to one big one. It also depends on your intent when feeding the fish. Are you trying to grow them bigger? Or just give them a snack? There are people growing out their Koi who feed them several times a day.

Ask a Question