What are you feeding your fish for Thanksgiving?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They said 55 but already 63 degrees here with mr sunshine ..Put crushed oyster shells in the pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My fish are partying on a liquid diet of fine aged well water
upload_2017-11-23_10-0-46.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You're in Utah.. and your fish are coming for food? Aint it cold there yet?

I have a winter cover over the pond and it's 6.5' deep so the water temps are still right at 60 degrees even though the garden hose in my yard freezes solid every morning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine are eating whatever's on the pond walls

I love your chubby koi!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have a winter cover over the pond and it's 6.5' deep so the water temps are still right at 60 degrees even though the garden hose in my yard freezes solid every morning.

Can you show me your winter cover please and where did you get it from... do you have a bog and do you cover the bog? How do you keep the nitrates and ammonia down if you are feeding? Water changes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Can you show me your winter cover please and where did you get it from... do you have a bog and do you cover the bog? How do you keep the nitrates and ammonia down if you are feeding? Water changes?

I have no bog inasmuch as it's a more formal pond. I built the cover myself using hand tools. It's a super easy design that one person can setup or take down in a few minutes. The plastic cover is a 16mil solar pool cover that I bought on Amazon and then cut to fit. It's very sturdy and tucks into the curbing. I also have rocks/blocks to help hold the edges down if there's heavy wind. We had some 30 mph winds a couple of weeks ago and there were no problems.

I'm still running my full system (pumps, filters, skimmer, air, etc) so nitrates and ammonia have not been a problem. The fish are still very active. I'm going to build a shed around my filtration and put a space heater in there so it's possible I'll keep running everything all year. I've moved the garden hose into the garage so that I can do water changes as needed.

File Oct 16, 1 00 38 PM.jpeg
File Oct 16, 1 01 20 PM.jpeg
File Oct 16, 1 01 45 PM.jpeg
File Oct 23, 11 10 11 AM.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love the big slurp sounds from Big Red :) I've got my pond covered ( nothing as nice as yours ) and the thermometer in my skimmer reads about 50 degrees......10 degrees colder then you.

I'm still running my filter, , but shut down the water fall. That's a great idea to build a shed and heat it, for your filtration.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nothing except what is in the pond. The water is currently 40f

Ask a Question