Filter Media Questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here a few pictures of mine, I personally would remove all the filter material in the basket, that will reduce flow on you. If you rework your piping like Meyer says then you cleaning the filter will be so much easier.

Here is the top view with a self made screen so frogs do not get into the pump side, this is not needed for proper operation.
View attachment 90550

Here is the top without the screen
View attachment 90551

Here is a close up how I ran my plumbing, the small white hose is a 1/4 water fill hose.

View attachment 90552

Just curious but what's the screen over the basket for? Is that a savio part or did you make it? Never saw that. Thx

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer, why do you think putting a row of hanging brushes in as close as I can get them to the last filter basket would be a mistake? Or maybe just fit the brushes inside the basket. They would likely still be easier to remove, I think. Simply lift one end of the rod and pull the brushes out by their handles, no?

First of all. this skimmer was not engineered to have brushes, Secondly, there are brushes and there are brushes, all different sizes. It would be a crap shoot finding the size that would fit. Thirdly, brushes do not filter as well as pads and Fourth, brushes are notorious for being made out of some cheap metal that corrodes and disintegrates very easily. If your water is not of the clarity that you want, you may have other problems other than the mechanical filtering ability of the skimmer. The Savio skimmer, as manufactured, has always been and still is the overall best skimmer on the market today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have the same skimmer and mine is plumbed through the side. I tried some additional mats in the front basket, but it reduced the flow and I've found improved performance, using it as directed. I also tried jamming in a matala pad in the bracket, but found using the Savio pad, worked better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have the same skimmer and mine is plumbed through the side. I tried some additional mats in the front basket, but it reduced the flow and I've found improved performance, using it as directed. I also tried jamming in a matala pad in the bracket, but found using the Savio pad, worked better.

I use a blue matala in the winter for a good flow as I keep the skimmer running through the falls and shut down the bead filter and everything else. I have 2 black holders for the filter so I keep the blue one around for the winter or for vacation if now one is around to clean it ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use a blue matala in the winter for a good flow as I keep the skimmer running through the falls and shut down the bead filter and everything else. I have 2 black holders for the filter so I keep the blue one around for the winter or for vacation if now one is around to clean it ...

Good idea !

Ask a Question