Filter Media Questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So the people that built my pond seem to have been a bit deficient in a variety of areas. One was definitely with the pump installation. As you'll note in the picture the PVC pipe coming out of the pump goes right over the filter basket at the back. Makes it impossible to take out the filter basket and extremely difficult to remove the filter media without ripping and tearing it. So my first question is for anyone who has a Savio Skimmer Filter like this. Where the heck should the pipe have been installed? To the side so as to avoid the filter basket?

Anyway, I have made some changes, but I'm not sure they are optimal and thought I'd get some opinions from you all.

1. I placed the filter media in the basket right in the front of the intake. Much easier to take out. Can anyone see any problems with this?

3. I've also placed some furnace filter media in the filter basket in the back just to make sure there is some media where it's supposed to go and to catch any big chunks that make it through. Any reasons not to do this?

3. I had good luck with a rack of brushes in the past and am thinking of installing some in place of the current situation. I would place them in the water just ahead of the outlet pipe now. Would this likely work well?

Thanks! pond pump 7 description.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, it is a Savio Skimmerfilter. Looks like model number SS0000.

I'll try to get some different shots in the light tomorrow.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here's another photo of the skimmer box. Hopefully it's a bit more illustrative now. Thanks, RobAmy it's definitely the same Savio you have, or at least the manual I have is the same. I'm curious. How does your pipe exit the unit? To the right or left of the box? If it was not installed over the filter basket, where did you put it?

As mentioned, I'm trying to make "the best of a bad" here. Because of the size of the rocks surrounding the exit pipe I don't think I will be able to move it anywhere. That leaves putting a different filtration system in there. Right now I'm thinking of hanging a set of 5 or 6 brushes on a steel rod that would rest on the inner edges of the box under the pipe joint and right in front of the filter basket with the green furnace filter in it. Maybe I'll bend the rod to match the shape more closely. It would be much easier to remove those for cleaning than the current configuration. Does anybody see a problem with that?
I'm also concerned about the foam forming in front of the filter I have placed inside the leaf basket at the front. Might that foam indicate a problem?

Thanks again.

Open Pump.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Whoever did this installation was more interested in cutting corners than taking the time to do it the right way.
The outlet line is improperly plumbed through the rear of the skimmer when Savio (in 3 separate places in the installation instructions) indicates that the outlet line should be plumbed through the side of the skimmer housing. This is quite evident in the PDF manual that RobAmy supplied a link to.
This can be corrected by properly re-routing the outlet line. The existing hole can be easily plugged with a bulkhead fitting and appropriately sized PVC plug.
I would then return all of the internal components to their original placements and remove any extra items so the skimmer can function as it was designed to.
Attempting to install brushes in this skimmer would prove to be a big mistake.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here a few pictures of mine, I personally would remove all the filter material in the basket, that will reduce flow on you. If you rework your piping like Meyer says then you cleaning the filter will be so much easier.

Here is the top view with a self made screen so frogs do not get into the pump side, this is not needed for proper operation.
image.jpeg

Here is the top without the screen
image.jpeg

Here is a close up how I ran my plumbing, the small white hose is a 1/4 water fill hose.

image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, guys. RobAmy, that is certainly the way this skimmer should have been set up. Wish I'd been a bit more on the ball when things were going in. As it was I noticed that there was not coupling on the outlet pipe and asked how the heck I was ever going to get the pump out! That prompted them to cut the pipe and put the ball valve and coupling in. Didn't even realize there was a filter basket underneath. Ladeda...

Meyer, why do you think putting a row of hanging brushes in as close as I can get them to the last filter basket would be a mistake? Or maybe just fit the brushes inside the basket. They would likely still be easier to remove, I think. Simply lift one end of the rod and pull the brushes out by their handles, no?

PS They guy who installed this and built the original falls/pond was fired mid-project. The guys they brought in at that point were a bit better. But it wasn't until last fall that the pond and falls were rebuilt because it was leaking so badly. Liner had dropped everywhere and the stream was leaking from underneath somehow!

Definitely cutting corners.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here's another photo of the skimmer box. Hopefully it's a bit more illustrative now. Thanks, RobAmy it's definitely the same Savio you have, or at least the manual I have is the same. I'm curious. How does your pipe exit the unit? To the right or left of the box? If it was not installed over the filter basket, where did you put it?

As mentioned, I'm trying to make "the best of a bad" here. Because of the size of the rocks surrounding the exit pipe I don't think I will be able to move it anywhere. That leaves putting a different filtration system in there. Right now I'm thinking of hanging a set of 5 or 6 brushes on a steel rod that would rest on the inner edges of the box under the pipe joint and right in front of the filter basket with the green furnace filter in it. Maybe I'll bend the rod to match the shape more closely. It would be much easier to remove those for cleaning than the current configuration. Does anybody see a problem with that?
I'm also concerned about the foam forming in front of the filter I have placed inside the leaf basket at the front. Might that foam indicate a problem?

Thanks again.

View attachment 90548

I have the same Savio and I'll also take a pic of mine as I came through the side. Not sure why they would do it the way they did.... I have mine through the side, right angles down to the pump with a backflow valve. I can change out the pump need be in about 5 minutes or less with one disconnect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Here a few pictures of mine, I personally would remove all the filter material in the basket, that will reduce flow on you. If you rework your piping like Meyer says then you cleaning the filter will be so much easier.

Here is the top view with a self made screen so frogs do not get into the pump side, this is not needed for proper operation.
View attachment 90550

Here is the top without the screen
View attachment 90551

Here is a close up how I ran my plumbing, the small white hose is a 1/4 water fill hose.

View attachment 90552

I have the same filter and would offer the same advise.

RobAmy - Just out of curiosity, what are the two tubes going into the filter area where your pump is located? On appears to be an air stone, But I am not sure of the other (black tubing with the 90 degree connection). Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have the same filter and would offer the same advise.

RobAmy - Just out of curiosity, what are the two tubes going into the filter area where your pump is located? On appears to be an air stone, But I am not sure of the other (black tubing with the 90 degree connection). Thanks.
@DrellDrell the black tube with the 90 degree elbow is for a small pump to run a water feature I made (pictured below). The small white tube is not a air stone but a drip line I have running into my skimmer box.

img_4654-jpg.80008

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
IMG_5861.JPG
IMG_5863.JPG
IMG_5864.JPG
Here are just more shots of the way Rob has it done. Bulkhead fitting goes to a drywell but as you can see, filter just lifts out. Easily remove the elbow to change the pump...

Ask a Question