Alternative filter media options

Reaction score
I have a Savio skimmer filter that has plastic fiber media that does get clogged due to very small pine needles that get stuck. I have been cleaning the media using a strong water blast but it will not remove all the pine needles. The media has been in use for about 3 months and just started to notice that the water level in the skimmer is lower than normal. I cleaned the media it seems to go back to its normal height but since all the needles get stuck I have to clean the media often. I thinking of replacing the media but the cost for the pre-cut media for my skimmer seems to be a bit steep in price. Are there other types of media that I can buy. I don't mind buying a larger sheet or roll. I'll just cut to fit.

Kurt

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ha solved it get rid of pine trees .I had lots of them here and they made the soil acidic and were not healthy ,just junk pines full of bugs and ants

Reaction score
Think I used the wrong term these trees are more of a fur tree. You can see the culprit in the picture.

20170821_144008.jpg

Kurt

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Think your real question is:
How to get rid of falling pine needles.
Yea you could cut the tree, or your could do a major limb up..

Reaction score
Even if I did cut the limbs the needles will still find their way into the pond. The good thing is that the stream pushes all the leaves and needles quickly into the skimmer. Less crap to sink to the bottom of the pond.

Kurt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
My thought is to add a nylon net before the media to capture the needles. This may keep the needles from the media and you can have several on hand to swap out.
I went on Google to see if this is feasible and found this comment on Dr forster and smith's Web site . This individual wrote a review including
"Sometimes I will line the filter basket of the Savio with window screen material to capture more of the debri rather than having to clean the filter media of the Savio or cleaning out the primer pot screen."

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was thinking the same thing window screening ,since I use it a lot

Reaction score
Well still does not answer my original question. Suggestion on alternate filter media that would be cheaper than buying the Savio replacement media. Eventually, will have to replace the media as everything does not last for ever.

Kurt

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are not cheap but not much will replace them .I have used buffer pads and reusable furnace filters

Reaction score
Yeah, from what I googled not many options that are really cheap to replace that type of media.

I guess in the long run it's better having the needles clog up the media than on the bottom of the pond.

Kurt

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The filter pads that are supplied with the Savio skimmer should have a considerably longer usage life than 3 months. I know of some that are over 10 years old and still in good shape and working properly.
Any filter media used will clog. Its only doing its job. Any type of conifer needles can be a real PITA when it comes to any form of mechanical filtration. They are the sole issue that has yet to be solved by the best minds and engineers in the Water Feature industry. Even the new Helix skimmer is not really effective against them.
Here i must echo what has already been said.....remove the tree. Or install a fine mesh netting over the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't answer regarding the filter media as I don't know what it looks like. But I do agree with @Meyer Jordan regarding a fine netting over the pond. You could raise and slant the netting to channel the needles toward the ground so they wouldn't collect on top of the netting (or screen) -- a deflector screen!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is the thickness of the Savio filter pad? And/or how much space is there if you wanted to use something different or thicker? I use Matatala pads, which will last forever, and are super easy to clean, but not sure if they are slim enough to work for you -- they are 1.5" thick. They come if different degrees of filtration [can't think of a better way to say it], from coarse to very fine. A pad can be cut to size [width & length], but there's not a lot you can do to reduce the thickness [other than saw at them, LOL.....speaking from experience!]. You can GOOGLE Matala filter pads for more info. And like I said, they last forever!

Black is coarse.....to gray which is the finest.
IMG_0088.JPG

Ask a Question