Filtration Question

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
woe... way too much pump!! how about a 1200 or less gph pump, and a 30gal or more filter. your gonna have to split that like 1/4 thru the filter and the rest right to your falls. if your gonna keep that pump!! or build a 150 gal filter. you needed to join this forum before you built your pond...

djg

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
woe... way too much pump!! how about a 1200 or less gph pump, and a 30gal or more filter. your gonna have to split that like 1/4 thru the filter and the rest right to your falls. if your gonna keep that pump!! or build a 150 gal filter. you needed to join this forum before you built your pond...

I've been running the pump for about 2 months now every day, and it seems to be perfectly fine. Water doesnt spew anywhere, and its contained within the waterfall.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the pump is too strong... the water wont spend enough time in the filter to do much if any good. the filter will grow and maintain a colonization of bacteria, this bacteria feeds on the toxins in fish waste, uneaten food, and decaying plant matter. at that rate of water flow the bacteria cant do its thing... we dont say these things to be arguementative ..we tell these things to help... i suggest you spend some time reading threads on this forum, before asking questions and then questioning the answers given. read the thread on "55 gallon bio filter" "my 70 gallon skippy filter" "20 gallon skippy filter" and visit dr daves site put the information together and build your filter install it and let your fish be healthy. if you would done your research before building your pond..you would of had a basic knowledge and understanding of whats needed to sustain a proper enviorment for a healthy pond and inhabitants.

djg

Reaction score
I might have to go with a pressure filter then, I can't see myself splitting that pipe into quarters and getting the plumbing working properly, which pressure filter size/specs would you suggest?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you dont split it in quarters ..you split it into 2 pipes and put a ball valve on one so you can control the flow to the filter. then adjust it so 1/4 of the flow goes thru the filter..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
even with a pressure filter 4000 gals..its too much flow... heres your plumbing.. the way your gonna have to do it.. or buy a smaller pump.. 1000 gph or less. so the water will spend enough time in the filter... ball valve can go on either side of T fitting..to filter or falls. and a second T fitting is not necessary you can just put 2 lines into the falls.

Attachments

• 8-13-2009 1;11;22 PM.jpg
    8-13-2009 1;11;22 PM.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 248

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Can I bring my cannon to your gun fight? LOL
Seriously, Koiguy is right on, the ball valve will help slow things down so the filter can do it's job.

Reaction score
I have a 3000GPH pump in my 1800 gallon pond. I divert about 75% of my flow directly into my falls and the rest in my bio filter. I learned the hard way that if I even run 50% through it is too fast and my water turned green.

djg

Reaction score
leeannecastro said:
I have a 3000GPH pump in my 1800 gallon pond. I divert about 75% of my flow directly into my falls and the rest in my bio filter. I learned the hard way that if I even run 50% through it is too fast and my water turned green.

Well, with a ball valve it should be very easy to make tweaks and adjustments. The T fitting already cuts down the gph in half to 2000, then i can adjust to ball valve to my liking, from what you're telling me i might have to go maybe 10%..

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
One thing you really should realize is that the out feed on a skippy or "DOC" filter is gravity feed. That means if you are going to join the water back up to the excisting hose you have going through your rocks into your falls you will have some problems:
The hose you have going through there looks to be on the smaller side. That means that for you to have a pump pushing 4000 gal through it there will be major presure. The chances of the water being pushed back into the outfeed of the filter is almost a sure thing and the filter will just overflow. You really need to put a second pipe through the rock to the waterfall to allow the gravity feed line out. And with gravity feed piping you will need a much larger pipe then the infeed to the filter. You could install a presureized filter and not suffer these problems but you would still have to divert and slow down the water to the filter for it to be effective and I think that the skippy type filter is a supiorer filter.
I believe my information is sound but if I am wrong please correct me.

Ask a Question