Filtration Question

Reaction score
I have a 1,000 gallon pond with 6 koi and its gets gross if I don't clean it daily! I have a related question... We are going to use a low profile (short and long) 50 gallon stock tank to create a skippy soon (as our poop farm is going crazy) and I wondered if I would need a bigger pump. We currently have a 1200 or 1500 (can't recall) PondMaster Mag pump.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your pump should still be fine..
The new filter will help you get the water you want..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm using basically the same size as you for the filtration.

I also have circulation pumps which help. Any pond with a single pump, is an accident waiting for a place to happen. If one fails or gets clogged, the other will at least help until you notice the problem and fix it.

I have a 55 gallon aquarium with about 700 baby Koi in it. In addition to the filtration system, I have circulation pumps in it. Occasionally, the filter stops, this has happened twice. The circulation pumps worked well enough that I didn't lose any fish either time. The water got cloudy but the fish survived.

This has prompted me to add the portable nursery pond to my outside ponds, some of the juvinilles now have the complete system to filter their water.

djg

Reaction score
12002v.jpg

12003n.jpg

Daytime pics

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
o.k. now you definately have room to locate a filter behind your falls a 30 gallon trash can will serve you well its 10% of your ponds volume.... now you'll want to check out the 55 gallon bio filter thread(s) in the equipment forum. its cheap and easy to build. and dollar for dollar you cant buy a store bought thats more efficient. you mayl have to pop off your top little cave rock and put a 2" pvc pipe to feed the falls. (im assuming you have a 1" hose, pipe or similiar mortared in.) but we'll have you up and running in no time now!!

djg

Reaction score
I think i have the right idea on this.. tell me what you think. Another question, what would be a good idea to hide the hideous filter ?

setuph.png

All i'd do is make an incision in the hose, insert one half which the pump is feeding from to the top of the filter, allow the water to run through the media then connect the other part of the hose to the bottom of the filter for the filtered water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This looks like you are on the right track. Now all you need to do is integrate it into the rockwork so it is not noticed.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
except build the filter according the plans i talked about in the equipment forum. the water goes in the top of the filter but runs thru a pipe to the bottom, then slowly rises back up thru the media so it spends some time in it and the bacteria has a chance to feed on the ammonias and such thats contained in fish poop and other debris. then out an outlet to your falls. building a 55 gallon bio filter (by DrCase). if you put the dump valve on it you open it for 30 seconds to clean the filter..do this evey 2 weeks and keep your water level up...your all set.
stack stone around it to hide it or some simple lattus.

djg

Reaction score
From my research and understanding, i believe you're trying to tell me it looks something like this:

20f6n36.png

What would be the best media to use? And is this a realistic diagram? I will have to get the gph of my pump for you as well, i might need a fairly large container.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
close...go to the construction and equipment secion and look at the "55gallon bio filter" thread theres detailed photos and instructions you'll just be making it smaller!! GO LOOK!!

Ask a Question